Alan Brazil seems to be coming out the other end of his health struggles as he spoke out on how he nearly lost his life – but for the help of NHS doctors.
Legendary broadcaster Brazil looked unrecognisable as he took to social media to tell fans of his story and reveal he is hoping to return to talkSPORT in a matter of weeks.
The 66-year-old has been off-air from presenting his regular Breakfast Show due to ongoing health issues, which were unclear until earlier this month.
His update comes almost two months after he was forced to miss presenting for talkSPORT during the final two days at Cheltenham Festival. At the time he was reported as being unwell.
He had previously had a spell off air in January due to illness too.
On Sunday, however, a noticeably slim Brazil said: ‘Hiya guys, how are you? What a day, beautiful weekend. Hopefully you’re lying in the sun and enjoying yourself.
A healthy-looking Alan Brazil has revealed he will return to radio soon after undergoing ‘life-saving surgery’
The 66-year-old, pictured in December, has been off-air from presenting his regular Breakfast Show due to ongoing health issues
‘Well, as you can see, I’m beginning to improve rapidly, which is great news. I was nearly gone, I don’t mind telling you. But listen, it’s a miracle what’s happened. NHS, brilliant. I can’t thank the people at Cambridge enough. They’ve saved my life. But I’m on the mend, you bet.
‘I’m missing radio, I will be back. We’re going to have a beautiful day tomorrow in the sunshine here in Suffolk. It won’t be long now, a few weeks, Brazil is back!
‘Thank you for all the messages, I really appreciate it, and I’m a lucky boy.’
Brazil has presented the Breakfast show since the radio station launched in 2000, cutting back his hours in 2020.
Five years ago he was forced to take a break while he had a heart operation and said before his return: ‘I had a little problem, whether it was Covid related or, I don’t know, fast living catching up with me, but I ended up in a couple of hospitals. I had a little sort out in the old ticker but I’m pleased to say I’m on the mend.’
The former forward started his football career at Ipswich Town in 1976 and later had spells at Tottenham and Man United in the 1980s.
He won 13 caps for Scotland – representing them at the 1982 World Cup in Spain – but struggled with back issues towards the end of his career.






