The bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers who died last week have now been located, the Maldives government said.
According to Italy’s Foreign Ministry, the divers died while exploring a cave at a depth of about 50m (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday.
Four of the divers were part of a University of Genoa team, including professor of ecology, Monica Motefalcone, her daughter and two other researchers.
The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30m (98ft). The body of one Italian, who was the diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave.
The victims have been identified as Montefalcone; her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; researcher Muriel Oddenino; and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, according to the Maldivian government.
The breakthrough on Monday came as three Finnish divers arrived to plan a fresh search for the bodies of the divers believed to be trapped in underwater caves in Maldives.
The searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a Maldivian diver from decompression sickness.
Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday, Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef said, announcing the suspension of rescue.
Decompression sickness occurs when depressurised gas (usually nitrogen) exits the solution phase in tissues and obstructs the circulation by forming bubbles. This can happen after a quick ascent from deep-sea diving, according to the National Library of Medicine.
The three Finnish divers joined the Maldives coastguard in a meeting aimed at mapping a new search strategy, said Mr Shareef.
Earlier, Italian foreign minister Antonio Tajani said they would do everything possible to bring home the bodies and offered condolences for Mahudhee’s death.
