UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

18 May 2026
Rural Micro Capital Grant Scheme 2026/2027 is now open

Rural Micro Capital Grant Scheme 2026/2027 is now open

18 May 2026
Xabi Alonso inherits one of the most unpleasant players in Chelsea’s mess, the relegation-threatened star Liverpool should buy – and Sky’s dreadful interview choice: IAN LADYMAN on My Football Weekend

Xabi Alonso inherits one of the most unpleasant players in Chelsea’s mess, the relegation-threatened star Liverpool should buy – and Sky’s dreadful interview choice: IAN LADYMAN on My Football Weekend

18 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers found in Maldives – UK Times
News

Bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers found in Maldives – UK Times

By uk-times.com18 May 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers found in Maldives – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

The ⁠bodies ​of ⁠four ‌missing Italian scuba ‌divers ‌who died ⁠last week have now been located, the Maldives government said.

According to Italy’s Foreign Ministry, the divers died while exploring a cave at a depth of about 50m (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday.

Four of the divers were part of a University of Genoa team, including professor of ecology, Monica Motefalcone, her daughter and two other researchers.

The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30m (98ft). The body of one Italian, who was the diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave.

The victims have been identified as Montefalcone; her daughter, Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; researcher Muriel Oddenino; and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, according to the Maldivian government.

The breakthrough on Monday came as three Finnish divers arrived to plan a fresh search for the bodies of the divers believed to be trapped in underwater caves in Maldives.

Five Italian divers have died during an underwater cave expedition in the Maldives, authorities said
Five Italian divers have died during an underwater cave expedition in the Maldives, authorities said (Facebook/Instagram/University of Genoa)

The searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a Maldivian diver from decompression sickness.

Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday, Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef said, announcing the suspension of rescue.

Decompression sickness occurs when depressurised gas (usually nitrogen) exits the solution phase in tissues and obstructs the circulation by forming bubbles. This can happen after a quick ascent from deep-sea diving, according to the National Library of Medicine.

The three Finnish divers joined the Maldives coastguard in a meeting aimed at mapping a new search strategy, said Mr Shareef.

Earlier, Italian foreign minister Antonio Tajani said they would do everything possible to bring home the bodies and offered condolences for Mahudhee’s death.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

18 May 2026
When is Eid al-Adha and how is it linked to the Hajj pilgrimage? – UK Times

When is Eid al-Adha and how is it linked to the Hajj pilgrimage? – UK Times

18 May 2026
James Corden slams ‘awful’ Gavin & Stacey episode from original series – UK Times

James Corden slams ‘awful’ Gavin & Stacey episode from original series – UK Times

18 May 2026

M5 northbound between J2 and J1 | Northbound | Road Works

18 May 2026

A19 southbound access from A181 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

18 May 2026

New BBC director general Matt Brittin warns that ‘tough choices are unavoidable’ | UK News

18 May 2026
Top News
Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times

18 May 2026
Rural Micro Capital Grant Scheme 2026/2027 is now open

Rural Micro Capital Grant Scheme 2026/2027 is now open

18 May 2026
Xabi Alonso inherits one of the most unpleasant players in Chelsea’s mess, the relegation-threatened star Liverpool should buy – and Sky’s dreadful interview choice: IAN LADYMAN on My Football Weekend

Xabi Alonso inherits one of the most unpleasant players in Chelsea’s mess, the relegation-threatened star Liverpool should buy – and Sky’s dreadful interview choice: IAN LADYMAN on My Football Weekend

18 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Korean drama Perfect Crown faces backlash over scene accused of undermining sovereignty – UK Times
  • Rural Micro Capital Grant Scheme 2026/2027 is now open
  • Xabi Alonso inherits one of the most unpleasant players in Chelsea’s mess, the relegation-threatened star Liverpool should buy – and Sky’s dreadful interview choice: IAN LADYMAN on My Football Weekend
  • When is Eid al-Adha and how is it linked to the Hajj pilgrimage? – UK Times
  • James Corden slams ‘awful’ Gavin & Stacey episode from original series – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version