UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Rumer Willis shares upside to dad Bruce Willis’ dementia battle

Rumer Willis shares upside to dad Bruce Willis’ dementia battle

20 May 2026

M55 westbound between J1 and J2 | Westbound | Road Works

20 May 2026
Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

20 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Three women found dead in sea off Brighton beach were sisters taken ‘tragically far too soon’ – UK Times
News

Three women found dead in sea off Brighton beach were sisters taken ‘tragically far too soon’ – UK Times

By uk-times.com20 May 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Three women found dead in sea off Brighton beach were sisters taken ‘tragically far too soon’ – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Get the free Morning Headlines email for news from our reporters across the world

Sign up to our free Morning Headlines email

Sign up to our free Morning Headlines email

Morning Headlines

Three women who died in the sea off Brighton in unclear circumstances were sisters “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”, their father has said.

Emergency services were called to the beach after concerns were raised about a person spotted in the water at around 5.45am on Wednesday 13 May, near Madeira Drive.

Three bodies were later recovered from the sea nearby after the coastguard deployed a helicopter and rescue teams to assist with efforts.

Now, Sussex Police have identified the women as sisters Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from the Uxbridge area of northwest London.

Their father Joseph paid tribute to his daughters “whose lives ended so tragically far too soon”.

In a statement, he said: “Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love. Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.

“Though your time on Earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”

He added: “The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared – the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.”

The force announced last Thursday that it had carried out extensive inquiries to identify the three women. Their next of kin have all been informed and specialist officers are supporting their families.

Chief superintendent Adam Hays called the incident a ‘heartbreaking tragedy’
Chief superintendent Adam Hays called the incident a ‘heartbreaking tragedy’ (BBC)

An investigation is ongoing to understand how all three women came to be in the water, police said, adding that there was no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality.

Police have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage and conducted inquiries at properties and businesses around the beach area to trace the women’s last movements.

Last week, Brighton and Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey said the deaths were “the most devastating news” the city had received “for a very long time”.

“I can’t think of anything more tragic or more horrendous, really,” she told BBC Radio Sussex. “This is the last thing that anyone wants or expects to happen.”

Peter Kyle, the MP for Hove and Portslade, said the incident was a “sobering and heartbreaking reminder that our families, neighbours and communities are what is important”.

“I am desperately upset for the families and friends of these women,” he said on Wednesday. “Our seafront is one of the many jewels in the crown of our city, but the sea can be a risk.

“However, for tonight I shall only be thinking about the families and friends affected by this tragedy.”

Police carrying out their investigations on Brighton beach after the bodies were recovered from the sea
Police carrying out their investigations on Brighton beach after the bodies were recovered from the sea (Getty)

The force has appealed for anyone with information, or who may have seen the three women in the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday 12 May and 5.30am on Wednesday 13 May, to come forward.

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove, said: “The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.

“I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country, and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.

“This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

M55 westbound between J1 and J2 | Westbound | Road Works

20 May 2026
Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

20 May 2026

link road from A453 southbound to M1 J23A | Southbound | Road Works

20 May 2026
Former Cuban President Raul Castro indicted for murder by US – UK Times

Former Cuban President Raul Castro indicted for murder by US – UK Times

20 May 2026

A1 southbound between A694 and A184 | Southbound | Congestion

20 May 2026

M55 westbound within J1 | Westbound | Road Works

20 May 2026
Top News
Rumer Willis shares upside to dad Bruce Willis’ dementia battle

Rumer Willis shares upside to dad Bruce Willis’ dementia battle

20 May 2026

M55 westbound between J1 and J2 | Westbound | Road Works

20 May 2026
Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times

20 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Rumer Willis shares upside to dad Bruce Willis’ dementia battle
  • M55 westbound between J1 and J2 | Westbound | Road Works
  • Trump got his revenge on ‘disloyal’ Republicans in primaries. It leaves his party weaker in the midterms – UK Times
  • Using neuroscience to sharpen RAF warfighting readiness – Case study
  • link road from A453 southbound to M1 J23A | Southbound | Road Works

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version