UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

23 May 2026

A2 westbound between B262 and A2260 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026

A303 westbound between A350 and B3095 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Three new Ebola cases confirmed in Uganda including a health worker – UK Times
News

Three new Ebola cases confirmed in Uganda including a health worker – UK Times

By uk-times.com23 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Three new Ebola cases confirmed in Uganda including a health worker – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up for our free Health Check email to receive exclusive analysis on the week in health

Get our free Health Check email

Get our free Health Check email

Health Check

Uganda has confirmed three new cases of Ebola, bringing the total number of infections in the country to five, the Health Ministry announced on Saturday.

Among the newly identified patients are a Ugandan driver who transported the nation’s initial confirmed case, and a health worker who contracted the virus while providing care for the same individual.

A Congolese woman also tested positive for the disease.

It comes after the World Health Organization has raised the risk of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola turning into a national outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo to “very high”.

A man wearing a protective mask walks along a busy street in Kampala, Uganda, Tuesday, May 19, 2026
A man wearing a protective mask walks along a busy street in Kampala, Uganda, Tuesday, May 19, 2026 (AP Photo/Hajarah Nalwadda)

The ⁠strain, for which there is no approved vaccine or treatment, was declared an emergency of international concern by the WHO on Sunday.

“We are now revising our risk assessment to very high at the national level, ⁠high at the regional level, ​and ⁠low at global level,” WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters.

So far, 82 cases have been confirmed in ⁠Congo, with seven confirmed deaths, 177 suspected deaths and almost ​750 ⁠suspected cases.

“The potential of ‌this virus spreading rapidly is high, ‌very high, and that changed the whole dynamic,” said Abdirahman Mahamud, WHO Director of Health Emergency Alert & Response Operations.

Measures taken in Uganda, including intense contact tracing and ⁠cancellation of a mass gathering, appear to have been effective in stemming the spread of the virus, Tedros said.

A US national who was working in Congo has been confirmed positive and transferred to Germany for care.

“We are also aware of reports today about another American national with a high-risk contact who has ‌been transferred to the Czech Republic,” Tedros added.

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus (Reuters)

The WHO’s ​chief scientist, Sylvie Briand, said an antiviral treatment called ‌Obeldesivir could be used among ⁠Ebola contacts to prevent them from developing the disease.

Obeldesivir is ⁠an experimental oral Covid antiviral drug from Gilead Sciences.

“This is a promising treatment ‌drug, but it ​has still to be implemented under ‌a very, very strict protocol,” ​Briand said.

Britain will provide up to £20 million to contain the outbreak of Ebola in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, it announced today.

The money, provided by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, will help the international effort to contain the virus through support for frontline health workers, improved infection control and disease surveillance.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

23 May 2026

A2 westbound between B262 and A2260 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026

A303 westbound between A350 and B3095 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026
Cannes: The wild, most divisive film at 2026 film festival – UK Times

Cannes: The wild, most divisive film at 2026 film festival – UK Times

23 May 2026

M5 southbound between J15 and J16 | Southbound | Congestion

23 May 2026
England World Cup squad: How Cole Palmer and Phil Foden lost Thomas Tuchel’s number 10 battle | Manchester News

England World Cup squad: How Cole Palmer and Phil Foden lost Thomas Tuchel’s number 10 battle | Manchester News

23 May 2026
Top News
UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times

23 May 2026

A2 westbound between B262 and A2260 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026

A303 westbound between A350 and B3095 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • UK bets on private investors to fill climate aid gaps after cuts – UK Times
  • A2 westbound between B262 and A2260 | Westbound | Congestion
  • A303 westbound between A350 and B3095 | Westbound | Congestion
  • Where are Pep Guardiola’s first Man City team now? Running a vineyard, launching a racing career – and returning to the club!
  • Cannes: The wild, most divisive film at 2026 film festival – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version