UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

A453 southbound between A6 and M1 J23A/A42 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

19 May 2026
Eni Aluko misses out on World Cup gig as ITV announce star-studded line-up in battle with work-from-home BBC

Eni Aluko misses out on World Cup gig as ITV announce star-studded line-up in battle with work-from-home BBC

19 May 2026
Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

19 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » San Diego shooting: What we know about the suspects as mom’s desperate 911 warning call revealed – UK Times
News

San Diego shooting: What we know about the suspects as mom’s desperate 911 warning call revealed – UK Times

By uk-times.com19 May 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
San Diego shooting: What we know about the suspects as mom’s desperate 911 warning call revealed – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The latest headlines from our reporters across the US sent straight to your inbox each weekday

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Evening Headlines

A shooting at an Islamic center in San Diego, Californa, that left three victims and two teenage suspects dead is being investigated as a possible hate crime.

The mother of one of the suspects had put in a desperate 911 call reporting a “runaway juvenile” who had taken guns and a car from her home, whom she feared could be suicidal.

As police investigated the boy’s disappearance, they were called to the nearby Islamic Center of San Diego, which includes a mosque and K-3 school, just before noon Monday after receiving a report of shots fired.

Officers arriving at the mosque said they found three adults dead, including a security guard. No children, teachers or staff at the center were harmed in the shooting, Imam Taha Hassane said in a subsequent video.

Cops were then called to a scene a few blocks away in response to further gunfire.

Police are investigating two teenagers who allegedly killed three people outside a San Diego mosque then died by apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds
Police are investigating two teenagers who allegedly killed three people outside a San Diego mosque then died by apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds (AP)

There, they found the two teen suspects, both dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, alongside a weapon used in the attack and a gas canister carrying a Nazi symbol.

Here’s what we know about the suspects and the shooting so far.

Teen wrestler among the shooting suspects

Police described the two suspects as males age 17 and 18.

Officials have not yet formally named the duo but law enforcement sources have told media outlets that the younger of the two was Cain Clark, who attended nearby Madison High School and had been due to graduate this month.

He had been part of the school’s wrestling team and was pictured on Facebook showing off medals he had won in competition.

Clark’s grandfather David told The New York Post: “We’re very sorry for what happened. We know as much as you do. It’s a shock.”

The mother of one of the suspects had warned police Monday morning in a call around 9:42 a.m. that her son had run away, might be suicidal and had taken her vehicle and several of her weapons, including a 9mm handgun, a shotgun and a mini 14., according to officials.

Police were reportedly seen outside a home thought to belong to a suspect’s family member
Police were reportedly seen outside a home thought to belong to a suspect’s family member (AP)

She told police her son left with a companion and they were both dressed in camouflage, which San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl later said was not typically consistent with individuals intent on suicide.

“After speaking with the mom, [she] began to piece together bits and pieces of information over an extended period of time,” Chief Wahl said.

“The information that she was gathering and conveying to us began to elevate the threat level.”

Police were sent to San Diego’s Fashion Valley Mall after license plate readers suggested the individuals were there.

Officers were speaking with the mother when the shooting outside the mosque was reported around 11:43 a.m.

After the attack, investigators were seen outside a home in San Diego thought to belong to a relative of at least one of the individuals, NBC San Diego reports.

Federal agents with the FBI and ATF are assisting with the investigation
Federal agents with the FBI and ATF are assisting with the investigation (Reuters)

Multiple crime scenes

Local police and federal agents from the FBI and ATF are investigating the case, which has a crime scene spread across multiple locations.

The three victims of the shooting were discovered outside the Islamic Center, while the two suspects were found a few blocks away.

By the time police arrived at the Islamic Center, the gunmen had reportedly already left. Officers got another call about shots fired at a landscape gardner nearby and headed to that location.

On the 3800 block of Hatton Street, police said they found the two suspects dead in their vehicle in the middle of the street.

Searching for a motive

Investigators are treating the shooting at the mosque, the largest in San Diego County, as a hate crime.

“Because of the Islamic Center location, we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not,” Chief Wahl told reporters.

“And at this point we’re going to work closely with the FBI to make sure that we are matching all the resources that we need for this investigation.”

Police said the suspects hadn’t made a specific threat against the mosque before the shooting, but that there was evidence they had engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric.”

Police have not publicly named any of the victims or suspects of the shooting
Police have not publicly named any of the victims or suspects of the shooting (Reuters)

Investigators found anti-Islamic writing in the white 2018 BMW SUV in which the suspects were found, as well as a weapon used in the attack with the words “hate speech” written on it, law enforcement sources told The New York Times.

Press photographs from the scene also revealed a red gas canister with an Nazi SS sticker on it.

One of the suspects reportedly left a suicide note that discussed “racial pride,” CNN reports, citing law enforcement sources.

The FBI said it is surging resources to the area and federal officials including FBI Director Kash Patel and President Donald Trump, as well as California Governor Gavin Newsom, have all been briefed.

Police plan to review security video from the scene of the shooting.

The car in which the San Diego mosque shooting suspects were found dead
The car in which the San Diego mosque shooting suspects were found dead (AP)

“The FBI is meticulously assessing the situation and is prepared to employ every resource we have to uncover the facts of this incident,” San Diego-based FBI Special Agent in Charge Mark Remily told reporters Monday.

“No community should have to go through such a tragic incident, but we will work tirelessly until we learn the truth.”

Agents are also interviewing family members and friends, Remily said.

The FBI has called on community members to submit any pertinent photo or video evidence to the bureau.

A slain security guard who stopped a tragedy

Police have said little so far about the victims of Monday’s shooting, beside the fact that they were all adults.

Officials credited one of the victims, a security guard, with stopping more deaths from taking place inside the center.

“One of the deceased is a security guard that works there and I think played a pivotal role in assisting from this being much worse,” Chief Wahl said.

“His actions were heroic and he undoubtedly saved lives today.”

If you are based in the USA, and you or someone you know needs mental health assistance right now, call or text 988 or visit 988lifeline.org to access online chat from the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. This is a free, confidential crisis hotline that is available to everyone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you are in another country, you can go to www.befrienders.org to find a helpline near you. In the UK, people having mental health crises can contact the Samaritans at 116 123 or [email protected]

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

A453 southbound between A6 and M1 J23A/A42 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

19 May 2026
Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

19 May 2026

A40 westbound between B467 and M40 | Westbound | Road Works

19 May 2026
Married at First Sight UK could face police ivestigation over ‘deeply concerning’ rape claims – UK Times

Married at First Sight UK could face police ivestigation over ‘deeply concerning’ rape claims – UK Times

19 May 2026

A35 eastbound between A375 and A358 | Eastbound | Accident

19 May 2026

A66 westbound between A6 and M6 | Westbound | Congestion

19 May 2026
Top News

A453 southbound between A6 and M1 J23A/A42 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

19 May 2026
Eni Aluko misses out on World Cup gig as ITV announce star-studded line-up in battle with work-from-home BBC

Eni Aluko misses out on World Cup gig as ITV announce star-studded line-up in battle with work-from-home BBC

19 May 2026
Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times

19 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • A453 southbound between A6 and M1 J23A/A42 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle
  • Eni Aluko misses out on World Cup gig as ITV announce star-studded line-up in battle with work-from-home BBC
  • Operation Sallus: Inside the Met police mission to protect victims of domestic violence – UK Times
  • A40 westbound between B467 and M40 | Westbound | Road Works
  • Minorities Recognition Awards NI 2026

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version