The King’s School in Sydney has found themselves making headlines again after a group of students had to be sent home from a rugby tour in Japan.
A small group of the team had purchased alcohol from vending machines in Japan during the opening week of their tour, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Not only had they purchased the alcohol but a number of the players were said to be found ‘highly intoxicated’ by staff and immediately sent home.
Despite drinking a significant amount of alcohol, it is understood that the students did not require medical attention.
Parents with knowledge of the incident told the Telegraph, ‘They drank copius amounts of alcohol, they are lucky that there were no more serious consequences for their actions.’
Another parent said the whole situation was a ‘disaster’ and families of the students involved were ‘furious.’
Students from the historic King’s School in Sydney were sent home from their rugby tour in Japan after being caught with copius amounts of alcohol
A small number of players were also found to be ‘highly intoxicated’ by members of staff
There was also significant financial implications involved for the parents of those caught with the alcohol as they had to pay for their children’s flights home.
‘They were forced to pay thousands of dollars on top of a $10,000 trip for the students to return home early, one added.
A spokesperson for the King’s School confirmed the incident to the Daily Telegraph, saying, ‘Some boys were returned home mid‑tour, consistent with the expectations clearly communicated to parents and boys before departure,’ the spokesman said.
‘On the tour’s return to school, appropriate consequences have been applied.
‘The school’s focus is on their wellbeing and on ensuring they have the opportunity to reflect on their conduct, learn from it and grow,’ he said.
The Daily Mail has reached out to the King’s School for further comment on the incident but has not received any at the time of publication.
As mentioned before, it is not the first time that the King’s School has made headlines after their former headteacher sued the school following his sacking for ‘school hall slap.’
Tony George was issued with a termination of employment by The King’s School, the prestigious boys-only institution at Parramatta in Sydney’s west, following allegations he struck a student on the back of the head.
The alleged school hall slap was described as a ‘clip to the ear’ of the student during a heated Biblical studies discussion inside King’s historic Futter Hall.
Mr George is now suing The King’s School Council, seeking damages in a case lodged between Christmas and New Year which has initially succeeded in delaying Mr George’s termination notice until at least January 19.
Orders filed in the Federal Court, which have set down a hearing for that date, have placed confidentiality rulings over exhibits and affidavits which identify the student, and a chronology of events filed by the school itself.
The alleged incident happened in mid-2024 during a discussion about religion and free speech attended by around 100 schoolboys.
When students resumed classes for Term Three in late July last year, the school sent a letter to parents confirming it was investigating the alleged incident.






