A somber atmosphere descended on the NASCAR garage on Saturday as Kyle Busch’s race car was unloaded onto the rainy track two days after the late driver’s sudden death.
Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion and father of two, died of complications after suffering with ‘severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis’ on Thursday, shortly after being hospitalized. He was 41.
In the wake of the heartbreaking news, the Coca-Cola 600 race is set to go ahead on Sunday as scheduled, NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell confirmed.
As teams arrived at the Charlotte Motor Speedway on Saturday morning ahead of Sunday’s race, including Busch’s car.
The blue and white Chevrolet, whose number has been changed from Busch’s 8 to 33 in honor of the late racing legend, was rolled onto the track.
Richard Childress Racing announced on Friday that it would be temporarily retiring the No 8 until Busch’s 11-year-old son Brexton follows in his father’s footsteps.

A somber atmosphere descended on the NASCAR garage on Saturday as Kyle Busch’s race car was unloaded onto the track two days after his death
Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion and father of two, died at the age of 41 on Thursday
Silence and sadness overtook the garage as the vehicle arrived on the track in a video shared to social media by NASCAR.
Drivers, teams and racing officials were captured overwhelmed with emotion, with many in the crowd even seen wiping their teary eyes and embracing one another in support through the somber moment.
‘Putting the new numbers on this car was the hardest thing I’ve ever done,’ Dalton Good, a graphic installer at Richard Childress Racing, said, according to USA Today.
Busch reportedly become unresponsive while using a racing simulator in Concord, North Carolina on Wednesday and was even seen coughing up blood, according to a 911 call released by TMZ.
He was hospitalized on Thursday before NASCAR announced his passing later that evening in a statement shared on behalf of his family.
Busch, who competed in more than 760 races during a storied 24-year career, is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four.
Sepsis is considered a life-threatening medical emergency that occurs when the body has an extreme, overactive response to an infection, causing the immune system to damage its own tissues and organs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Typically the immune system releases chemicals to fight off pathogens like bacteria, viruses or fungi, but with sepsis the response goes into overdrive. The results can cause widespread inflammation, form microscopic blood clots and make blood vessels leak.
Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four
An in memoriam photo of Busch was shown on the video board at Charlotte Motor Speedway
A flag is raised in honor of Busch at the track where this week’s Coca-Cola 600 will take place
It has since emerged that Busch was struggling with something in his final weeks.
He radioed for medical assistance from his car in the middle of one of his final NASCAR races on May 10 in upstate New York, just days before his death.
Another eerie clip emerged from May 16 of Busch being asked if he had recovered from what he thought was simply a nasty cough.
‘I had a pretty – you can kind of still hear it, I’m still not great,’ Busch said, waving his hand to his face as he spoke to Jeff Gluck of The Athletic. ‘But er, the cough was pretty substantial.’
In a clip from Busch’s May 10 race, he was asking for a doctor to urgently meet him to give him ‘a shot’.
With 38 laps to go in the NASCAR Cup Series game, Busch told his team over the radio: ‘Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel? He’s the kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race, please.’
He was then asked whether he needed the doctor at his car or his bus, to which he replied: ‘Uh, bus. I’m going to need a shot.’
According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course.
NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell insisted Busch would want the Coca-Cola 600 to go ahead
Busch had radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid during a race on May 10
Busch went on to claim his record fifth NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series trophy that day, despite clearly still struggling with illness.
Following his death, which came just six days after the victory, a heartbreaking clip of Busch’s post-race interview resurfaced.
After earning his 69th career Trucks Series race win with the triumph at Dover, Busch was asked how many races he wanted to win in his career before he stops racing.
‘You take whatever you can get, man,’ Busch said. ‘You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all – trust me.’
NASCAR chief O’Donnell has insisted they will not postpone any upcoming events following Busch’s death because he would want them to keep racing.
While he refused to answer any medical questions following Busch’s death, O’Donnell was asked if NASCAR were considering canceling the Coca-Cola 600 race on Sunday.
He replied: ‘I think it’s a fair question, but when you look at what minimal conversations did take place between RCR, ourselves, family, it was – Kyle Busch would probably be pretty p***ed off if we didn’t race.
‘So we’re gonna honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.’

