UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

21 May 2026

A14 J55 westbound access | Westbound | Congestion

21 May 2026

A50 westbound access from A38 | Westbound | Road Works

21 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Married At First Sight allegations raise ‘really serious concerns’, says Ofcom boss – UK Times
News

Married At First Sight allegations raise ‘really serious concerns’, says Ofcom boss – UK Times

By uk-times.com21 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Married At First Sight allegations raise ‘really serious concerns’, says Ofcom boss – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Get the free Morning Headlines email for news from our reporters across the world

Sign up to our free Morning Headlines email

Sign up to our free Morning Headlines email

Morning Headlines

Allegations made by contestants on Married At First Sight UK have raised “really serious concerns”, according to the boss of Ofcom.

Former show participant Shona Manderson accused her on-screen partner of sexual misconduct while on the Channel 4 programme, while two other anonymous women alleged they were raped by their on-screen husbands.

All three men deny the allegations, which were revealed in a BBC Panorama programme.

The chief executive of Ofcom, Dame Melanie Dawes, added the regulator will tighten its guidance around reality shows if necessary.

All three men who appeared on the Channel 4 programme deny the allegations
All three men who appeared on the Channel 4 programme deny the allegations (Getty)

Dame Melanie told ITV’s Good Morning Britain: “What we always try to avoid is being really specific about ‘you can do this and you can’t do that’, because fundamentally the responsibility is with Channel 4 and its production company, or with ITV or BBC or whoever is producing these shows, to get this right.

“If they have not got right, this is going to be a serious issue.

“It’s very live, but it does raise really serious concerns. If we need to tighten our guidance then we absolutely will.”

She continued: “Sometimes we do have these wake-up calls where, as a country, we just go, ‘This has gone too far.’”

Channel 4 launched a review into contributor welfare last month, shortly after being contacted by the BBC regarding the accusations featured in the Panorama episode.

Dame Melanie Dawes, the chief executive of Ofcom, said the regulator will tighten its guidance around reality shows if necessary
Dame Melanie Dawes, the chief executive of Ofcom, said the regulator will tighten its guidance around reality shows if necessary (PA Media)

Channel 4 chief executive Priya Dogra has said reports the show had been cancelled are “wholly inaccurate” and “no decision has been made” regarding the broadcast of the next series.

New episodes of Married at First Sight UK have been “substantially filmed” and are currently being edited, according to the channel’s chief content officer, Ian Katz.

MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport Committee wrote to Channel 4 and Ofcom on Wednesday about their response to allegations raised in the BBC documentary.

Committee chair Dame Caroline Dinenage called the accusations “horrifying”, adding: “Both Channel 4 and Ofcom, as the broadcasting regulator, have urgent questions to answer.”

The letter to Channel 4 asks about its complaints process for contestants on the programme and the steps taken to ensure the allegations were fully investigated, along with the review announced by the broadcaster.

It also questions the broadcaster about its approach to the duty of care to participants on its other reality TV programmes.

Police have urged potential victims of sexual assault on the TV show to get in touch.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

21 May 2026

A14 J55 westbound access | Westbound | Congestion

21 May 2026

A50 westbound access from A38 | Westbound | Road Works

21 May 2026
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor preferred to go to ‘sophisticated countries’ as UK trade envoy – and refused to play golf – UK Times

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor preferred to go to ‘sophisticated countries’ as UK trade envoy – and refused to play golf – UK Times

21 May 2026

M25 J30 clockwise access | Clockwise | Congestion

21 May 2026
Ukraine-Russia war latest: Nato chief warns Putin of ‘devastating consequences’ if nuclear weapons used against Kyiv – UK Times

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Nato chief warns Putin of ‘devastating consequences’ if nuclear weapons used against Kyiv – UK Times

21 May 2026
Top News
Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times

21 May 2026

A14 J55 westbound access | Westbound | Congestion

21 May 2026

A50 westbound access from A38 | Westbound | Road Works

21 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Ollie Watkins impressed by Aston Villa’s transformation into Europa champions – UK Times
  • A14 J55 westbound access | Westbound | Congestion
  • A50 westbound access from A38 | Westbound | Road Works
  • Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor preferred to go to ‘sophisticated countries’ as UK trade envoy – and refused to play golf – UK Times
  • Victims reveal the awful extent of AFL star Nick Stevens’ tradie fraud as court hears he’s ‘vulnerable’ in jail due to his fame

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version