UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

A303 westbound between A3088 and A356 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026
Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

23 May 2026
1 person has died after blast at New York City shipyard that also injured 36 people, officials say. – UK Times

1 person has died after blast at New York City shipyard that also injured 36 people, officials say. – UK Times

23 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Hull City owner threatens legal action if his side don’t win the Championship play-off final – with just MINUTES to go before kick-off
TV & Showbiz

Hull City owner threatens legal action if his side don’t win the Championship play-off final – with just MINUTES to go before kick-off

By uk-times.com23 May 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Hull City owner threatens legal action if his side don’t win the Championship play-off final – with just MINUTES to go before kick-off
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Hull City owner Acun Ilicali has insisted his club will take legal action if they lose to Middlesbrough in Saturday’s play-off final.

Hull had been set to face Southampton until the beginning of this week, when the EFL’s case against Tonda Eckert’s side over ‘spygate’ prompted a late change of opponents.

This came as a result of Daily Mail Sport’s reporting that Saints had sent a junior analyst intern to watch Middlesbrough’s training 48 hours before their meeting in the semi-final first leg.

Middlesbrough – beaten 2-1 by Saints in the semi-final before the south-coast club admitted spying on them – were subsequently reinstated on Tuesday. 

Saints’ appeal against the decision was dismissed on Wednesday, leaving the Tigers with just two days to train knowing with certainty who they would face. 

‘Our legal team says we have to take action, that’s for sure,’ Ilicali told BBC Radio Humberside outside Wembley Stadium before kick-off.

Hull City owner Acun Ilicali has insisted the club will take legal action if they lose to Middlesbrough in Saturday’s play-off final

Tonda Eckert's Southampton side were expelled from the play-offs on Tuesday, but the club have appealed against the decision

Tonda Eckert’s Southampton side were expelled from the play-offs on Tuesday, but the club have appealed against the decision

Ilicali described the decision to allow Middlesbrough to qualify straight into the final as ‘unbelievable’, suggesting that seventh-placed Wrexham, who just missed out on a play-off place, should have faced them in a semi-final first.

He said: ‘If this action was so big that a team is out of the play-offs, why didn’t they let them not play the semi-final, investigate, and take Southampton out and put Wrexham in?

‘Why is Wrexham out now? Put Wrexham in and continue the competition.

‘For me, an eliminated team being put back – also our lawyers say this, and that’s their opinion too – is an incredibly wrong decision.’

The 56-year-old, who took over Hull City in 2022, said he did not want to discuss the outcome of the EFL’s independent disciplinary commission hearing before the day of the final to avoid distracting the players.

‘Now I can talk a little more because the boys are in the stadium and they will not hear me. I didn’t want to disturb their focus,’ he added.

‘Decisions are disputable, from what I understand from our lawyers, very disputable.

‘But of course we have to focus on the game, and the boys are tough enough to overcome these difficulties.’

Earlier this week, Ilicali confirmed that the club’s lawyers were investigating whether they would be able to have the play-off final cancelled, with a view to earning automatic promotion to the Premier League.

The FA have since opened an investigation of their own into Southampton, after Saints also admitted to spying on two other rivals’ training sessions, including Oxford United in December and Ipswich Town last month.

The club accepted what happened was ‘wrong’ and apologised to the other clubs involved, as well as Southampton’s supporters.

After their appeal was rejected, the club said in a statement: ‘While we fully acknowledge the seriousness of this matter and the scrutiny that has followed, the club has consistently believed the original sporting sanction was disproportionate – a view that has been widely shared by many in the football community.’

And while Middlesbrough boss Kim Hellberg said he trusted that the ‘right thing’ had been done, Hull boss Sergej Jakirovic said his side were ‘collateral damage’.

‘We can say everything is unfair in this last two weeks. You don’t know what’s going on,’ he told BBC Radio Humberside.

‘From Middlesbrough’s point of view, they knew that if they were successful, they would play against us, so I could turn the situation around, but I will not do that. We will try to beat them on the pitch.’

On Friday, a member of the independent commission – who made one appearance for Middlesbrough – denied accusations of bias.

‘The suggestion that a single appearance for Middlesbrough Football Club more than three decades ago could in any way influence my judgment as a member of an independent disciplinary commission is wholly without foundation,’ former footballer-turned-solicitor David Winnie told PA.

‘My involvement with the club consisted of one professional appearance approximately 33 years ago and has no bearing whatsoever on my ability to approach these proceedings impartially and objectively.’

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

23 May 2026
Angry Giants star blasts his own quarterback Jaxson Dart for introducing Trump at New York event

Angry Giants star blasts his own quarterback Jaxson Dart for introducing Trump at New York event

23 May 2026
Hull City vs Middlesbrough – Championship play-off final LIVE: Latest score, team news and updates as Tigers bus is attacked by fans en route to Wembley and Boro take Saints’ place at Wembley after spygate scandal

Hull City vs Middlesbrough – Championship play-off final LIVE: Latest score, team news and updates as Tigers bus is attacked by fans en route to Wembley and Boro take Saints’ place at Wembley after spygate scandal

23 May 2026
Will ANY Blues fans say the bloody obvious about Nathan Cleary? I’ll be crucified – but NSW must be ready to make a brutal call after Game 1: PVO

Will ANY Blues fans say the bloody obvious about Nathan Cleary? I’ll be crucified – but NSW must be ready to make a brutal call after Game 1: PVO

23 May 2026
Harry Maguire breaks cover after Man United star was brutally AXED from Thomas Tuchel’s World Cup England squad

Harry Maguire breaks cover after Man United star was brutally AXED from Thomas Tuchel’s World Cup England squad

23 May 2026
Liverpool work on deal to sign highly-rated 17-year-old midfielder who has already drawn comparisons to Brazil legend Kaka – as they look to steal a march on interested Chelsea and Bayern Munich

Liverpool work on deal to sign highly-rated 17-year-old midfielder who has already drawn comparisons to Brazil legend Kaka – as they look to steal a march on interested Chelsea and Bayern Munich

23 May 2026
Top News

A303 westbound between A3088 and A356 | Westbound | Congestion

23 May 2026
Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal

23 May 2026
1 person has died after blast at New York City shipyard that also injured 36 people, officials say. – UK Times

1 person has died after blast at New York City shipyard that also injured 36 people, officials say. – UK Times

23 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • A303 westbound between A3088 and A356 | Westbound | Congestion
  • Cincinnati Reds All-Star Andrew Abbott gets engaged to stunning TV anchor in romantic proposal
  • 1 person has died after blast at New York City shipyard that also injured 36 people, officials say. – UK Times
  • M6 northbound within J18 | Northbound | Accident
  • Hull City owner vows legal action if they lose Championship play-off final to Middlesbrough amid Spygate scandal – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version