Firefighters are continuing to battle a persistent blaze at a waste facility in Fife, more than a week after it first ignited, with operations expected to last for an extended period. Crews have been on site at the landfill near Ladybank since the alarm was raised at approximately 1.35pm on 12 May.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has described the incident as “complex and protracted” due to the “deep-seated nature” of the fire and the sheer volume of material involved.
While the fire is now under control, three fire engines remained at the scene as of 6.30am on Wednesday, down from 12 appliances and specialist resources at the height of the incident.
Residents in surrounding areas are being warned that smoke from the fire could travel a “significant distance” depending on wind direction and weather conditions. The SFRS advises people to limit their time outdoors where smoke is present, keep windows and doors closed, and remain indoors if possible.
Area Commander Lee Turnock, local senior officer for Clackmannanshire, Fife, and Stirling, reiterated the challenges: “While the fire is now under control, this remains a complex and protracted incident due to the deep-seated nature of the fire and the volume of material involved.”
He added: “People in surrounding areas may continue to notice smoke coming from the site as firefighters carry out damping down pockets of fire. We would ask residents to follow public safety advice, including keeping windows and doors closed and limiting time outdoors where smoke is present.”
Commander Turnock also thanked the local community for their “patience, understanding and support.”
Last week, Fife Council said the waste transfer and processing facility remains closed while emergency services deal with the incident.
The council said: “We understand this has been a worrying incident for residents and disruptive for people travelling through the area or trying to use Ladybank Recycling Centre.
“Smoke is still coming from the site as the fire is brought under control, residents should continue to keep windows and doors closed if they can see or smell smoke.
“Bin collections are currently going ahead as planned and people should continue to present bins and bulky uplift items as normal.
“The household waste recycling centre at the site is closed due to the fire and will remain so while firefighting activity continues.
“However, the Ladybank Recycling Centre area is unaffected and will reopen as soon as the fire is out and safe access can be reinstated.”
The fire, which has involved recycled material and waste, spread across an area measuring approximately 200m by 300m. No casualties have been reported.

