UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

M40 northbound between J16 and M42 | Northbound | Accident

24 May 2026
See the moment footy legend Brad Fittler outraged fans by making ‘molester’ remark about NRL star on Channel Nine

See the moment footy legend Brad Fittler outraged fans by making ‘molester’ remark about NRL star on Channel Nine

24 May 2026
How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

24 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » China mine blast death toll revised to 82 – UK Times
News

China mine blast death toll revised to 82 – UK Times

By uk-times.com24 May 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
China mine blast death toll revised to 82 – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

The chaos in the aftermath of China’s worst mine disaster in 17 years led to a revision in the death toll to 82 ​killed, local officials said at a press conference late on Saturday.

The ‌people died in a gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s northern province of Shanxi late on Friday.

Initially, state media reports said at least 90 people were killed.

Even ​at the lower number, the incident remains China’s deadliest mining accident since 2009, ​when a gas explosion at the Xinxing Mine in Heilongjiang province ⁠killed 108 people.

Local officials said at the press conference the initial death ​toll from state media had been tallied in error.

“After the incident, the scene was ​chaotic, the company’s count of the number of workers was not clear, which led to the initial inaccurate number,” Guo Xiaofang, the head of Shanxi’s Qinyuan county, where the mine ​is located, said.

There were 247 workers on duty underground at the time of ​the explosion.

Drivers wait in rescue vehicles outside the Liushenyu coal mine, where an explosion killed dozens in Qinyuan county, in China's northern Shanxi province on 24 May 2026
Drivers wait in rescue vehicles outside the Liushenyu coal mine, where an explosion killed dozens in Qinyuan county, in China’s northern Shanxi province on 24 May 2026 (AFP/Getty)

Two people remained unaccounted for, Mr Guo said, while 128 were injured and hospitalised, and ‌35 ⁠were uninjured.

The Liushenyu mine is owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Coal Coking Group and all four of its mines have been closed and company executives detained, local officials said at the news conference.

State-run newspaper the People’s Daily published an editorial on ​the accident on ​its front page ⁠on Sunday morning, calling for greater attention to safety in production and to “completely reverse the tendency to prioritise development over ​safety”.

President Xi Jinping on Saturday had called for authorities to “spare ​no effort” ⁠in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, according to Xinhua. He also ordered an investigation into the incident.

The mine has a production capacity of ⁠1.2 million ​tons of coal per year, officials said at the ​press conference.

China last year mined 4.83 billion tons of the fuel, which forms the backbone ​of its power sector.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

M40 northbound between J16 and M42 | Northbound | Accident

24 May 2026
How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

24 May 2026

A46 northbound between A6097 and B6166 | Northbound | Overturned Vehicle

24 May 2026
Usyk reveals text from daughter in bomb shelter before fight | Sport – UK Times

Usyk reveals text from daughter in bomb shelter before fight | Sport – UK Times

24 May 2026

A590 eastbound between A591 and M6/A65 | Eastbound | Congestion

24 May 2026

M6 northbound between J29 and J30 | Northbound | Congestion

24 May 2026
Top News

M40 northbound between J16 and M42 | Northbound | Accident

24 May 2026
See the moment footy legend Brad Fittler outraged fans by making ‘molester’ remark about NRL star on Channel Nine

See the moment footy legend Brad Fittler outraged fans by making ‘molester’ remark about NRL star on Channel Nine

24 May 2026
How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times

24 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • M40 northbound between J16 and M42 | Northbound | Accident
  • See the moment footy legend Brad Fittler outraged fans by making ‘molester’ remark about NRL star on Channel Nine
  • How accessible is Eurostar? I tested the journey from London to Paris as a wheelchair user – UK Times
  • A46 northbound between A6097 and B6166 | Northbound | Overturned Vehicle
  • Usyk reveals text from daughter in bomb shelter before fight | Sport – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version