UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Get on in hospitality – social media marketing with Belfast Met

Get on in hospitality – social media marketing with Belfast Met

19 May 2026
Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

19 May 2026

A27 westbound exit for A3023 | Westbound | Road Works

19 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Bodies of two Italian divers recovered from Maldives cave network – UK Times
News

Bodies of two Italian divers recovered from Maldives cave network – UK Times

By uk-times.com19 May 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Bodies of two Italian divers recovered from Maldives cave network – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

The bodies of two Italian cave divers have been recovered from an underwater network in the Maldives, according to local officials.

The two were part of a group of five who died last week, with one of the bodies recovered outside the cave network on Friday. Efforts to recover the other four bodies were suspended over the weekend after a local military diver also died during the mission to reach them.

The bodies were found about 60 metres deep after search operations resumed following the death of the military diver during an earlier rescue attempt.

Earlier, the Maldives government spokesperson, Ahmed Shaam, said that the three divers would recover the bodies from a depth of about 60 metres (200 feet) and bring them to within 30 metres (nearly 100 feet) of the surface, where the Maldives coast guard would take over before handing them to police.

On Monday, the Maldives government said that three Finnish diving experts, assisted by police and military personnel, located the bodies in the deepest section of the cave.

“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave, but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” Mr Shaam said earlier.

He said that the four bodies were found “pretty much together”.

The Maldivian government is planning to recover the bodies of two other divers on Wednesday.

The five divers were identified as Monica Montefalcone, a marine ecologist at the University of Genoa; her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, a biomedical engineering student at the same university; Muriel Oddenino, a research fellow; Federico Gualtieri, a former student of the ecologist; and Gianluca Benedetti, a diving instructor.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

19 May 2026

A27 westbound exit for A3023 | Westbound | Road Works

19 May 2026

A46 southbound between A422 and A435 near Alcester | Southbound | Congestion

19 May 2026
Dad building dream home hit with £60,000 bill after Portsmouth City Council ‘ghosts’ him – UK Times

Dad building dream home hit with £60,000 bill after Portsmouth City Council ‘ghosts’ him – UK Times

19 May 2026

A590 westbound between B5277 and A592 | Westbound | Congestion

19 May 2026
UK launches 0m fund to accelerate renewable power projects in India – UK Times

UK launches $300m fund to accelerate renewable power projects in India – UK Times

19 May 2026
Top News
Get on in hospitality – social media marketing with Belfast Met

Get on in hospitality – social media marketing with Belfast Met

19 May 2026
Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

19 May 2026

A27 westbound exit for A3023 | Westbound | Road Works

19 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Get on in hospitality – social media marketing with Belfast Met
  • Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times
  • A27 westbound exit for A3023 | Westbound | Road Works
  • ‘Cringing’ Roy Keane eviscerates ‘circus act’ Bruno Fernandes and his Man United team-mates in brutal dismantling of his Premier League assists record bid and how they ‘won’t be winning trophies’
  • A46 southbound between A422 and A435 near Alcester | Southbound | Congestion

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version