The full extent of the damage left behind by former AFL star Nick Stevens has been revealed in court.
Among the victims are a couple who have claimed that their marriage disintegrated after he left an empty hole in their backyard.
The 46-year-old was facing a pre-sentence hearing at Melbourne’s County Court as a number of victims detailed their horror experiences with the fraudster.
At the end of March a jury found him guilty of 12 charges of obtaining a financial advantage by deception and one by using a false document.
He stole around $175,000 from six regional families with his pool business in 2017.
Stevens did install six legally compliant pools under supervision of a registered builder.
One couple told of how their marriage disintegrated after Nick Stevens left their backyard with a massive hole where a pool was supposed to be
A court also heard how the 46-year-old’s scam had caused distress for his grandkids and extended family
But he then went out on his own without the required licence, registration, permits or insurance.
The former Carlton and Port Adelaide footballer took the money from these families but left some with non-compliant pools or failed to install a pool at all, leaving giant holes behind.
One such victim of the latter scenario was Ben Knight, ‘An exhausting and relentless nightmare that I was reminded of every day, seeing the hole in my yard,’ he said via a statement read by prosecutor Toni Stokes.
‘The pressure led to fighting between me and my wife over financial loss … a rollercoaster that eventually led to the breakdown in our marriage.’
Rod Charman said Stevens’ constant lies, empty promises and blaming of others had drained him emotionally and financially.
‘Each time I was told an untruth I got increasingly anxious over the pool being supplied, to be duped by Mr Stevens and his lies,’ he said.
‘The build-up of these lies infuriated me. The impact on our children and grandchildren of not having a pool for Christmas, as we had been promised, was profound and affected me deeply.’
Stevens, who made 231 appearances in the AFL until his retirement in 2009 due to injury, watched via videolink from Hopkins Prison in Ararat.
Barrister Jim Stavris urged the judge to spare Stevens a longer prison term given that he has already spent 52 days behind bars following his verdict in March.
They also suggested that his profile as a former footballer meant he was a vulnerable prisoner who had to be held in protection, and they asked for Stevens to receive a community work order.
‘He’s going to do his time a bit harder than most,’ Mr Stavris said.
‘The benefit to community is for him to get out and keep working … under a strict community corrections order, so he can look at ways that he can better himself.’
Judge Fiona Todd ordered Stevens to be assessed for a community corrections order, but did note that he was unlikely to receive a sentence other than a term of imprisonment.
Ms Stokes said Stevens had shown no remorse as he continued to maintain his innocence, and – coupled with the impact of his offending on victims – prison with a non-parole period was warranted.
Stevens was remanded in custody and will return to the court for his sentence on June 15.







