UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

M62 westbound within J10 after M6 J21A southbound access | Westbound | Road Works

20 February 2026
Global Counsel: Lobbying firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson collapses into administration – UK Times

Global Counsel: Lobbying firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson collapses into administration – UK Times

20 February 2026

A34 northbound exit for A4130 | Northbound | Congestion

20 February 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » UK Athletics admits causing the death of Paralympian hit on the head by a metal pole during training
TV & Showbiz

UK Athletics admits causing the death of Paralympian hit on the head by a metal pole during training

By uk-times.com20 February 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
UK Athletics admits causing the death of Paralympian hit on the head by a metal pole during training
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

UK Athletics has pleaded guilty to the corporate manslaughter of a Paralympian who was hit on the head by a metal pole during training.

Abdullah Hayayei, 36, who represented the United Arab Emirates, was fatally injured at Newham Leisure Centre in east London on July 11 2017.

He was preparing to represent his country in the F34 class discus, javelin and shot put at the World Para Athletics Championships in London when part of a throwing cage fell on him.

Police and other emergency services were called, but despite the efforts of medical staff he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Scotland Yard launched an investigation with Newham Council’s health and safety team.

Abdullah Hayayei was fatally injured at Newham Leisure Centre in east London

Inquiries established the throwing cage had not been put up correctly, making it unstable. 

On Friday, UK Athletics Ltd admitted corporate manslaughter, having previously denied the charge.

The charge said the national governing body for athletics caused the death of Mr Hayayei by ‘supplying for use at an organised para-athletics training event in which he participated a discus/shot put cage which it used and operated without its base structure and which collapsed’ into the Paralympian while he was practising shot putting.

UK Athletics had previously denied a lesser alternative health and safety offence.

Keith Davies, 78, who was head of sport for the 2017 World Paralympic Athletics Championships, had denied gross negligence manslaughter.

On Friday, Davies, of Leytonstone, east London, pleaded guilty to a health and safety charge.

The fresh pleas were entered on Friday at an Old Bailey hearing before Judge Mark Lucraft KC.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson invited the court to set a two-day sentencing hearing in early June. 

She confirmed the prosecution would not seek a trial and the outstanding charges would be dealt with at the conclusion of the sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail on the condition he liaise with the Probation Service for a pre-sentence report.

In a statement, UK Athletics said it ‘deeply regrets’ the incident, adding: ‘Our deepest thoughts and sympathy remain with his family, friends, teammates and all those affected by the events of that day.

‘As you will appreciate, due to the ongoing court proceedings UK Athletics is unable to comment any further at this time.’

The Metropolitan Police said the conviction was the result of a meticulous investigation which required detailed engineering expertise to understand the chain of events that led to the tragedy.

Officers examined more than 1,500 documents, took around 160 statements, spoke with more than 80 witnesses and collated a number of expert reports.

Detective Sergeant Brett Hagen, who led the investigation, said: ‘Our thoughts are with Mr Hayayei’s family during what will be a significant moment for them. We thank them for their ongoing patience, understanding and dignity throughout this lengthy and complex investigation.

‘The resulting charges and early guilty plea reflect our perseverance and dedication, and the significant work undertaken to build a comprehensive and compelling case against the defendants.

‘Cases of this nature are rare and particularly difficult to prosecute due to various complexities surrounding the legislation, so we welcome this outcome.’

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Oliver Glasner could leave Crystal Palace imminently as he makes new bizarre public statement

Oliver Glasner could leave Crystal Palace imminently as he makes new bizarre public statement

20 February 2026
Eddie Howe breaks silence on Anthony Gordon’s penalty spat with Kieran Trippier… and delivers verdict on Nick Woltemade’s new Newcastle role: LIVE PREMIER LEAGUE PRESS CONFERENCES

Eddie Howe breaks silence on Anthony Gordon’s penalty spat with Kieran Trippier… and delivers verdict on Nick Woltemade’s new Newcastle role: LIVE PREMIER LEAGUE PRESS CONFERENCES

20 February 2026
Eric Dane’s life in photos

Eric Dane’s life in photos

20 February 2026
Winter Olympics chiefs reach verdict on Jutta Leerdam’s ‘m underwear-flashing gesture’ after Jake Paul’s fiancée faced covert marketing claims

Winter Olympics chiefs reach verdict on Jutta Leerdam’s ‘$1m underwear-flashing gesture’ after Jake Paul’s fiancée faced covert marketing claims

20 February 2026
Tom Brady celebrates signing Livvy Dunne to his fitness brand as influencer stuns in her first shoot

Tom Brady celebrates signing Livvy Dunne to his fitness brand as influencer stuns in her first shoot

20 February 2026
CELTIC 1 STUTTGART 4: It’s the end of the road for Martin O’Neill’s men as ruthless Stuttgart punish Schmeichel on a night to forget for Danish keeper

CELTIC 1 STUTTGART 4: It’s the end of the road for Martin O’Neill’s men as ruthless Stuttgart punish Schmeichel on a night to forget for Danish keeper

20 February 2026
Top News

M62 westbound within J10 after M6 J21A southbound access | Westbound | Road Works

20 February 2026
Global Counsel: Lobbying firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson collapses into administration – UK Times

Global Counsel: Lobbying firm co-founded by Peter Mandelson collapses into administration – UK Times

20 February 2026

A34 northbound exit for A4130 | Northbound | Congestion

20 February 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version