UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Broken down vehicle

21 May 2026
Organisations receive clear, accessible guidance on how to implement equality law in updated draft Code of Practice

Organisations receive clear, accessible guidance on how to implement equality law in updated draft Code of Practice

21 May 2026
Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

21 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Trump says he doesn’t need Congress to OK his 250-foot arch as team says they authorized it 100 years ago – UK Times
News

Trump says he doesn’t need Congress to OK his 250-foot arch as team says they authorized it 100 years ago – UK Times

By uk-times.com21 May 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Trump says he doesn’t need Congress to OK his 250-foot arch as team says they authorized it 100 years ago – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside Washington

Donald Trump’s team maintains that the president does not need Congress to approve his plans for a towering 250-foot arch in Washington, D.C., because a similar proposal was already given the go-ahead — more than 100 years ago.

The arch is one of many so-called “beautification” projects Trump is undertaking to leave his permanent mark on the capital, despite overwhelming disapproval from the public.

While the design of the massive arch — which the president and his White House have taken to calling the “Arch de Trump,” in a nod to France’s Arc de Triomphe — was approved by the Commission of Fine Arts Thursday, whose members were all appointed by Trump, the land on which it would sit is protected under federal law and is therefore subject to congressional authorization.

Two officials told The Washington Post, however, that there are “no active plans” to seek authorization from Congress, and instead cited a report for the Arlington Memorial Bridge Commission that signed off on similar plans in 1925.

The proposal called for a pair of 166-foot columns that would frame the Lincoln Memorial, but they were never constructed. “Congress authorized the arch project when it approved the design set out in Arlington Memorial Bridge Commission’s report,” lawyers for the Justice Department wrote in a filing last month, The Post reports.

Donald Trump’s team maintains that the president does not need Congress to approve his plans for a towering 250-foot arch in Washington, D.C., because a similar proposal was already given the go-ahead — more than 100 years ago
Donald Trump’s team maintains that the president does not need Congress to approve his plans for a towering 250-foot arch in Washington, D.C., because a similar proposal was already given the go-ahead — more than 100 years ago (Getty Images)

Trump said he does not require Congressional approval for the arch because the land “is owned by the Interior Department,” and claimed the arch was “meant to be built for many years.”

“We don’t need anything from Congress,” Trump said Thursday, speaking from the Oval Office. “We don’t have a triumphal arc, so it was meant to be built for many years,” the president added.

Critics blasted the justification of the 1925 report as “laughable” and “absurd.”

“The notion Congress a century ago authorized construction of this 250-foot arch in Memorial Circle is absurd,” Wendy Liu, a lawyer at Public Citizen Litigation Group, told the newspaper.

The group is representing military Veterans in a lawsuit against the project, arguing that the arch would block the “historically significant view” between Arlington National Cemetery and the Lincoln Memorial.

Liu said the report cited by Trump officials was for a “now-defunct commission to design and construct Arlington Memorial Bridge,” adding that the group “did not authorize this arch.”

The arch is one of many so-called ‘beautification’ projects Trump is undertaking to leave his permanent mark on the capital, despite overwhelming disapproval from the public
The arch is one of many so-called ‘beautification’ projects Trump is undertaking to leave his permanent mark on the capital, despite overwhelming disapproval from the public (Getty Images)

“The fact that they’re trotting out this tortured argument that a 100-year-old authorization for something totally different satisfies a law today is laughable, but consistent with their pattern of ignoring Congress,” added Democratic Rep. Jared Huffman of California.

Trump has also demolished the historic East Wing to make way for his $400 million ballroom and started resurfacing work on the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool without congressional approval.

Democrats, including Huffman, have joined the effort to challenge Trump’s “vanity projects” in court and have called for an oversight hearing.

“The breathtaking scope of these changes to iconic structures and spaces in our nation’s capital – changes that will transform the experience of visiting and using the capital for generations to come – demands at least a hearing by the Committee,” Democrats wrote.

Preliminary surveys and testing of the site began last week.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Broken down vehicle

21 May 2026
Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

21 May 2026

M25 J28 clockwise exit | Clockwise | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement

21 May 2026

NHS trust sacks staff over accessing attacks victims’ records | UK News

21 May 2026

A30 eastbound between A3047 near Camborne (east) and A3047 near Redruth (west) | Eastbound | Road Works

21 May 2026
Controversy over Trump ballroom and .8B ‘slush fund’ sends Senate running from the Hill in GOP revolt – UK Times

Controversy over Trump ballroom and $1.8B ‘slush fund’ sends Senate running from the Hill in GOP revolt – UK Times

21 May 2026
Top News

A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Broken down vehicle

21 May 2026
Organisations receive clear, accessible guidance on how to implement equality law in updated draft Code of Practice

Organisations receive clear, accessible guidance on how to implement equality law in updated draft Code of Practice

21 May 2026
Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times

21 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Broken down vehicle
  • Organisations receive clear, accessible guidance on how to implement equality law in updated draft Code of Practice
  • Social Security recipients could see a major COLA boost in 2027 – UK Times
  • M25 J28 clockwise exit | Clockwise | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement
  • NHS trust sacks staff over accessing attacks victims’ records | UK News

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version