UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine – UK Times

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine – UK Times

19 May 2026

A1 northbound at a minor junction between A167 near Washington Birtley and A692 | Northbound | Road Works

19 May 2026
Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

19 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Tennis bad boy Bernard Tomic is on the brink of playing in the French Open just weeks after becoming a dad
TV & Showbiz

Tennis bad boy Bernard Tomic is on the brink of playing in the French Open just weeks after becoming a dad

By uk-times.com19 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Tennis bad boy Bernard Tomic is on the brink of playing in the French Open just weeks after becoming a dad
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
  • Star hasn’t had a win in the main draw since 2016 

Aussie tennis bad boy Bernard Tomic has enjoyed a successful start in his quest to qualify for the French Open.

The 33-year-old hasn’t taken part in the event’s main draw since 2019 but is now just a few wins away from returning to centre stage in Paris.   

Tomic’s Roland Garros qualifying appearance comes just weeks after it was revealed he had become a father for the first time, to baby girl Astara Aurelia. 

He is known for his polarising behaviour after being slammed for his lack of effort in some matches, temper tantrums on the court and feud with Aussie legend Lleyton Hewitt.  

However, Tomic stood tall as Australian hopefuls suffered a sorry start on the opening day of French Open qualifying, with four of the five Aussies beaten.

It looked like being a complete wipeout when Tomic, the last of the quintet in action at Roland Garros, lost Monday’s first set to seeded Tunisian veteran Moez Echargui.

Bernard Tomic (pictured with partner Keely Hannah) is on the brink of qualifying for the French Open main draw

Tomic became a father to baby girl Astara Aurelia (pictured) recently

Tomic became a father to baby girl Astara Aurelia (pictured) recently

The 33-year-old is pictured playing at the 2016 French Open. He hasn't played in the event's main draw since then

The 33-year-old is pictured playing at the 2016 French Open. He hasn’t played in the event’s main draw since then

Tomic (pictured) lost to Borna Coric in round two of the 2016 event

Tomic (pictured) lost to Borna Coric in round two of the 2016 event

But the 33-year-old, who has been trying to roll back the years, came back in style to win 3-6 7-5 6-3 in two pulsating hours.

A decade after he reached a career-high of 18 in the world, Tomic is now rarely seen at grand slams, last competing in a main-draw match at the 2021 Australian Open.

His last victory in the main draw at Roland Garros was in 2016 – but he is now just two wins away from re-appearing in the main draw of one of the four majors.

His first opponent will be Italian teen Federico Cina, ranked 216. 

If Tomic was to claim victory against him, he will face the winner of Canadian Alexis Galarneau’s match with Brazilian Pedro Boscardin Dias.

The losses came thick and fast for some of the best players from Down Under on Monday, Australian time.

Dane Sweeny and Alex Bolt, seeded 23 and 28 respectively, suffered surprise defeats. 

Sweeney went down to Britain’s Jay Clarke 6-2 6-2, while Alex Bolt was thrashed by  Austrian Lukas Neumayer 6-0 6-1.

Christopher O’Connell was beaten 7-6 (9-7) 4-6 6-4 by Argentine Facundo Diaz Acosta, who has a similar ranking.  

In the women’s event Taylah Preston, seeded 19, lost 7-5 6-3 to Japan’s Mai Hontana.

Six more Australians will join the fray on Tuesday (local time): seeds Tristan Schoolkate (15), Priscilla Hon (23) and Maddison Inglis (31), James McCabe, and, in an all-Australian tie, Storm Hunter plays 17-year-old wildcard Tahlia Kokkinis from Sydney.

Eleven Australians have already earned a main draw place through their ranking with Adam Walton and Emerson Jones joining them via wildcards.

Some of those are warming up elsewhere in Europe and had mixed fortunes.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

19 May 2026
Astonishing Victor Wembanyama inspires Spurs to epic Game 1 victory over the Thunder in Western Conference Finals

Astonishing Victor Wembanyama inspires Spurs to epic Game 1 victory over the Thunder in Western Conference Finals

19 May 2026
Former NFL star urges Russell Wilson to retire as uncertainty around desperate quarterback’s future drags on

Former NFL star urges Russell Wilson to retire as uncertainty around desperate quarterback’s future drags on

19 May 2026
Student at one of Australia’s most exclusive schools is exposed as troll who told AFL star to ‘end your life please’ in disgraceful online post

Student at one of Australia’s most exclusive schools is exposed as troll who told AFL star to ‘end your life please’ in disgraceful online post

19 May 2026
NRL star Jack Underhill who lost his mum to cancer aged just seven explains why he remembered her with a tattoo that features a spelling mistake

NRL star Jack Underhill who lost his mum to cancer aged just seven explains why he remembered her with a tattoo that features a spelling mistake

19 May 2026
Chiefs heiress Gracie Hunt makes major reveal about lavish wedding after engagement to ex-quarterback’s son

Chiefs heiress Gracie Hunt makes major reveal about lavish wedding after engagement to ex-quarterback’s son

19 May 2026
Top News
Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine – UK Times

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine – UK Times

19 May 2026

A1 northbound at a minor junction between A167 near Washington Birtley and A692 | Northbound | Road Works

19 May 2026
Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle

19 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine – UK Times
  • A1 northbound at a minor junction between A167 near Washington Birtley and A692 | Northbound | Road Works
  • Footy great turned TV star Abbey Holmes’ birth photos are full of joy. Now she has revealed they were taken in the middle of her husband’s awful health battle
  • The hunt is on for $10K in buried treasure hidden somewhere in San Francisco – UK Times
  • Another UK airport raises drop-off charge to become second-most expensive in country – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version