‘Why would it be a wave of goodbye? As far as I know he’ll be here next season’: Cristiano Ronaldo IS staying at Man United, says Ralf Rangnick, after revealing their plans to sign two ‘modern strikers’
- Ralf Rangnick has revealed Cristiano Ronaldo is staying at Man Utd next season
- Ronaldo’s future has been the subject of intense speculation in recent months
- Many feel he will not be suited to incoming manager Erik ten Hag’s style of play
- But interim boss Rangnick says the 37-year-old will remain at Old Trafford
Cristiano Ronaldo will be staying at Manchester United next season despite their plans to sign two new strikers this summer, Ralf Rangnick has revealed.
Rangnick, who has been in interim charge of United since the end of November, is set to make way for incoming head coach Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford once the season is complete.
And Ten Hag’s impending arrival has cast doubts over the futures of several first-team players, including Ronaldo.
The 37-year-old only sealed an emotional return to United last year, snubbing interest from rivals Manchester City to head back to his beloved club.
Ralf Rangnick has revealed Cristiano Ronaldo is staying at Manchester United next season
Though while he has produced a return of 24 goals in 37 appearances, one of which came in Monday’s 3-0 win over Brentford, Ronaldo’s off-the-ball work has been scrutinised regularly throughout the campaign.
Many believe he will not suit Ten Hag’s modern philosophy, which consists of intense pressing high up the pitch, while Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher suggested his return last summer was a panicked decision that hasn’t gone to plan.
Ronaldo has therefore been linked with a move away from United in recent months, however Rangnick does not expect him to depart anytime soon.
After their final home game of the season against Brentford, the German was asked if Ronaldo’s lap of honour was a ‘wave of goodbye’.
Ronaldo’s future at United has been questioned despite his tally of 24 goals in 37 games
Many doubt whether the 37-year-old will suit incoming boss Erik ten Hag’s style of football
But Rangnick has rubbished talk of Ronaldo leaving and instead claimed he is staying put
‘I don’t think why it should be a wave of goodbye,’ Rangnick told Stadium Astro. ‘He’s got another year of contract and as far as I know he will be here next season again.’
Despite his claim that Ronaldo is staying put, Rangnick indicated before Monday’s win over the Bees that United will look to add two or three new strikers to their ranks in the summer.
The interim boss, who will take up a consultancy role at the club when Ten Hag arrives, says minor changes will not be enough to propel them up the table next season.
He told Sky Sports: ‘There should be two or three new strikers next season, it’s pretty obvious.’
Rangnick has been unable to guide United to a place in the top four since replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at the helm, with fourth-place Arsenal still five points away having played two matches less.
The German still expects United to add two or three new strikers to their ranks this summer
Yet following confirmation of Ten Hag’s appointment, he is adamant that success will return to the club sooner rather than later.
‘Knowing Erik will be the manager, with a good recruitment process and bringing in the right players, I’m very positive the supporters and the media will be able to see a better team and, at the end, hopefully a better position in the league,’ he added.
‘There are quite a few good examples in the league with when Jurgen Klopp came to Liverpool, Pep Guardiola to Manchester City, Thomas Tuchel came to Chelsea – yes, he came in the middle of the season and inherited a top-quality squad, but you still need to win the Champions League.
‘If you know what you’re looking for, the profiles of the different positions you need, it shouldn’t hopefully take too long.’