UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

24 May 2026

A2 eastbound between A256 near Whitfield (east) and A258 | Eastbound | Congestion

24 May 2026

A628 westbound between A6024 and A57 | Westbound | Road Works

24 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Man killed in shark attack off Queensland coast in second fatal incident in Australia in two weeks – UK Times
News

Man killed in shark attack off Queensland coast in second fatal incident in Australia in two weeks – UK Times

By uk-times.com24 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Man killed in shark attack off Queensland coast in second fatal incident in Australia in two weeks – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up to the Independent Climate email for the latest advice on saving the planet

Get our free Climate email

Get our free Climate email

Independent Climate

A man has died after a shark attack off the north-east coast of Australia, the second fatal incident in the country in as many weeks, with beaches in the area closed as authorities assess safety conditions.

Emergency services were called to Hull River Heads boat ramp near Tully on the Cassowary Coast, in Queensland, just before noon on Sunday after reports that a 39-year-old had been attacked while swimming at Kennedy Shoal, a shallow reef used for recreational fishing and diving lying about 45 kilometres off the coast.

The man was retrieved from the water in a critical condition but died shortly after being met by an ambulance.

The type of shark involved has not been confirmed, though bull sharks and tiger sharks are known to be prevalent along the Great Barrier Reef. Queensland Police said a report would be prepared for the coroner on the “sudden and non-suspicious” death, and did not release the victim’s identity.

The attack comes a week after Steven Mattaboni, 38, was killed while spearfishing near Perth in Western Australia. Mattaboni was bitten on his legs by a 4-metre white shark on 16 May while on the water surface about 80 metres from shore and 20 metres from his boat near Rottnest Island, a popular holiday destination.

He had travelled to the island with three friends from Perth’s northern suburbs.

Paramedics and police performed CPR after he was brought ashore but were unable to revive him.

A sign about a planned removal of shark nets was spotted on North Narrabeen Beach
A sign about a planned removal of shark nets was spotted on North Narrabeen Beach (Getty)

Western Australia’s police minister Reece Whitby paid tribute to Mattaboni and those who tried to save him. “My heart and thoughts go out to the man’s family, friends and loved ones,” Mr Whitby told the ABC.

“I want to acknowledge the diver’s friends who played a critical role in doing the best they could to bring him back to shore.”

Shark attacks in Australian waters are more common than in many other parts of the world, though they are rarely fatal. On average, about 20 attacks are reported in Australia each year, of which fewer than three prove deadly, according to conservationists.

More than 1,300 incidents have been recorded in the country since 1791, of which more than 350 were fatal, and 24 have occurred since 2020, according to the Taronga Conservation Society.

Dozens of beaches along Australia’s east coast, including in Sydney, were closed in January after four attacks in two days, with heavy rain creating murky water that reduced visibility for both swimmers and sharks.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

24 May 2026

A2 eastbound between A256 near Whitfield (east) and A258 | Eastbound | Congestion

24 May 2026

A628 westbound between A6024 and A57 | Westbound | Road Works

24 May 2026
Police launch search for two missing Scottish Highlands walkers – UK Times

Police launch search for two missing Scottish Highlands walkers – UK Times

24 May 2026

A31 westbound between A338 near Ringwood (east) and B3081 | Westbound | Congestion

24 May 2026
Oldest Pearl Harbor survivor is keeping memory of the surprise bombing alive at 106 – UK Times

Oldest Pearl Harbor survivor is keeping memory of the surprise bombing alive at 106 – UK Times

24 May 2026
Top News
Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times

24 May 2026

A2 eastbound between A256 near Whitfield (east) and A258 | Eastbound | Congestion

24 May 2026

A628 westbound between A6024 and A57 | Westbound | Road Works

24 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Marta Kostyuk wins ‘one of the most difficult matches’ after parents’ home narrowly missed by missile strike – UK Times
  • A2 eastbound between A256 near Whitfield (east) and A258 | Eastbound | Congestion
  • A628 westbound between A6024 and A57 | Westbound | Road Works
  • Richard Keys bids farewell to Premier League football with emotional ‘end of an era’ post celebrating his 34 years next to fellow shamed ex-Sky Sports broadcaster Andy Gray – with duo to return to UK after leaving jobs in Qatar
  • Police launch search for two missing Scottish Highlands walkers – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version