Kyle Busch’s family has revealed that ‘severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis’ was the NASCAR legend’s cause of death.
A statement from Busch family on Saturday read: ‘The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications.’
Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion and father of two, was hospitalized on Thursday with an unspecified severe illness. Hours later, NASCAR announced that he had died at the age of 41.
Busch, who competed in more than 760 races during a storied 24-year career, is survived by his wife, Samantha, and their two children, Brexton, 11, and Lennix, four.
He reportedly become unresponsive while using a racing simulator in Concord, North Carolina on Wednesday and was even seen coughing up blood, according to a 911 call released by TMZ.
‘I’ve got an individual that’s shortness of breath, very hot, thinks he’s going to pass out, and he’s producing a little bit of blood, coughing up some blood,’ the caller told 911 operators on Wednesday evening.
NASCAR driver Kyle Busch died at the age of 41 shortly after being hospitalized in Charlotte
His family revealed ‘severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis’ was his cause of death
The caller repeatedly explained Busch was ‘awake’ and lying on the bathroom floor as he waited for paramedics to arrive.
It has since emerged that Busch was struggling with something in his final weeks.
He radioed for medical assistance from his car in the middle of one of his final NASCAR races on May 10 in upstate New York, just days before his death.
Another eerie clip emerged from May 16 of Busch being asked if he had recovered from what he thought was simply a nasty cough.
‘I had a pretty – you can kind of still hear it, I’m still not great,’ Busch said, waving his hand to his face as he spoke to Jeff Gluck of The Athletic. ‘But er, the cough was pretty substantial.’
In a clip from Busch’s May 10 race, he was asking for a doctor to urgently meet him to give him ‘a shot’.
With 38 laps to go in the NASCAR Cup Series game, Busch told his team over the radio: ‘Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel? He’s the kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race, please.’
He was then asked whether he needed the doctor at his car or his bus, to which he replied: ‘Uh, bus. I’m going to need a shot.’
Kyle Busch is survived by his wife, Samantha, son Brexton, and daughter Lennix
According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course.
Busch went on to claim his record fifth NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series trophy that day, despite clearly still struggling with illness.
Following his death, which came just six days after the victory, a heartbreaking clip of Busch’s post-race interview resurfaced.
After earning his 69th career Trucks Series race win with the triumph at Dover, Busch was asked how many races he wanted to win in his career before he stops racing.
‘You take whatever you can get, man,’ Busch said. ‘You never know when the last one is going to be, so cherish them all – trust me.’
NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell has insisted they will not postpone any upcoming events following Busch’s death because he would want them to keep racing.
While he refused to answer any medical questions following Busch’s death, O’Donnell was asked if NASCAR were considering canceling the Coca-Cola 600 race on Sunday.
He replied: ‘I think it’s a fair question, but when you look at what minimal conversations did take place between RCR, ourselves, family, it was – Kyle Busch would probably be pretty p***ed off if we didn’t race.
‘So we’re gonna honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.’
NASCAR chief Steve O’Donnell insisted Busch would want the Coca-Cola 600 to go ahead
An in memoriam photo of Busch was shown on the video board at Charlotte Motor Speedway
A flag is raised in honor of Busch at the track where this week’s Coca-Cola 600 will take place
Following the tragic news, the NASCAR great’s son Brexton, who celebrated his 11th birthday just three days before his father’s passing, made a subtle tribute on social media.
Brexton updated his profile pictures on Instagram and Facebook to an image of him embracing his dad on Friday.
The photo was taken on February 21 when Busch and his family celebrated his victory at the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Fr8 Racing 208 at Echo Park Speedway in Georgia.
In the moments after the victorious Busch crossed the finish line, Brexton had rushed to greet him in emotional scenes.
Donald Trump paid tribute to Busch and his family on Friday night, praising the driver as a ‘true talent’ as he addressed the tragic passing.
The president previously commended Busch and his wife Samantha’s campaigning for affordable in vitro fertilization treatment.
‘The LEGENDARY NASCAR Driver Kyle Busch tragically and unexpectedly passed away yesterday,’ the president began in a post shared to Truth Social.
‘He was a true talent who loved NASCAR and its fans. Kyle was a WINNER! He was a two time Cup Champion, and holds the All Time Record for WINS in NASCAR’s Top Three series, and even won another just last weekend.
‘Kyle’s wife, Samantha, and their two beautiful children are in our thoughts and prayers. Samantha was at the White House in October, for IVF. She truly loved Kyle!’
He added: ‘Rest in Peace Kyle Busch. You will always be a LEGEND!’







