UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

21 February 2026

M53 northbound within J10 | Northbound | Accident

21 February 2026
England 21-42 Ireland: Limp Red Roses’ Six Nations hopes go up in smoke as visitors make history with record win at Twickenham

England 21-42 Ireland: Limp Red Roses’ Six Nations hopes go up in smoke as visitors make history with record win at Twickenham

21 February 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Kennedy Center performance canceled after ‘targeted attack’ on outdoor ice rink – UK Times
News

Kennedy Center performance canceled after ‘targeted attack’ on outdoor ice rink – UK Times

By uk-times.com21 February 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Kennedy Center performance canceled after ‘targeted attack’ on outdoor ice rink – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up for the daily Inside Washington email for exclusive US coverage and analysis sent to your inbox

Get our free Inside Washington email

Get our free Inside Washington email

Inside Washington

The temporary outdoor ice rink at the Kennedy Center was the subject of a “targeted attack” Friday with a “toxic chemical” spread across the ice, cancelling a planned performance, according to officials.

“[A] targeted attack on the Trump Kennedy Center vandalized and destroyed our outdoor arena, causing severe damage that we unfortunately must cancel [Friday’s] performance, but we are working feverishly to complete repairs so programming can resume tomorrow,” Roma Daravi, vice president of public relations for the center, said in a statement to The Independent.

“We have turned over video footage to the authorities who are investigating this calculated, malicious attack and hold those responsible accountable.”

A photo of the incident showed a black substance spread across the ice, under a gallon-sized milk jug.

The rink had been planning to host a performance Friday from Le Patin Libre, a Montreal-based skating troupe. The Independent has contacted Le Patin Libre for comment.

The U.S. Park Police is investigating a Friday incident in which a black substance was spread across the outdoor ice rink at the Kennedy Center, halting a planned performance

The U.S. Park Police is investigating a Friday incident in which a black substance was spread across the outdoor ice rink at the Kennedy Center, halting a planned performance (Kennedy Center)

Kennedy Center leadership claimed without evidence that the Democratic Party, which has criticized the president’s management and attempted renaming of the center after himself, was linked to the attack.

“This is so sad & unnecessary – The Democrats have been calling artists urging them to cancel and attacking the Center non-stop,” Kennedy Center Richard Grenell wrote on X Friday. “It’s a calculated campaign. And now they have mentally unstable people taking action – and vandalizing the Center.”

“We’ve seen serious death threats and constant harassment,” Grenell added. “Commonsense Democrats must speak up before this violence takes a life.”

The U.S. Park Police is investigating the incident, first reported by Fox News, and the center has turned over footage to the FBI, officials said.

The Independent has contacted the law enforcement agencies and the Democratic Party for comment.

The ice rink incident comes a day after an unfounded bomb threat was called into the Kennedy Center, prompting an evacuation, as the Chinese dance troupe Shen Yun was due to perform.

Friday’s incident at the ice rink follows a bomb threat called into the Kennedy center Thursday

Friday’s incident at the ice rink follows a bomb threat called into the Kennedy center Thursday (AFP via Getty Images)

It has been a tumultuous period at the flagship national arts complex in Washington D.C.

In December, the center’s board, installed by President Trump, voted to rename the center after the president. Democratic lawmakers argued the move was illegal and needs to be approved by Congress, prompting Rep. Joyce Beatty to sue. Family members of late President John F. Kennedy, the memorial’s original namesake, also criticized the change.

Since Trump and his allies took over the center, high-profile artists like composer and pianist Philip Glass and comedian Issa Rae have cancelled planned performances.

Earlier this month, President Trump said the center would be closed in July for a two-year renovation process, further outraging critics.

The Kennedy Center has faced artist cancellations and reported struggles selling tickets since Trump took over

The Kennedy Center has faced artist cancellations and reported struggles selling tickets since Trump took over (Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

“Countless employees, artists, and others have existing contracts and agreements with the Center,” Beatty said in a statement at the time. “What happens to them? Has Trump or his handpicked Board given any consideration to their livelihoods or futures? This is precisely why congressional oversight is essential.”

The center has reportedly struggled with ticket sales since the Trump administration took office.

The White House argues the center was in poor shape and needs hundreds of millions of dollars of deferred maintenance.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

21 February 2026

M53 northbound within J10 | Northbound | Accident

21 February 2026
Wales vs Scotland live: Latest score and updates as struggling hosts eye long-awaited Six Nations success in Cardiff – UK Times

Wales vs Scotland live: Latest score and updates as struggling hosts eye long-awaited Six Nations success in Cardiff – UK Times

21 February 2026

M53 northbound between J11 and J10 | Northbound | Congestion

21 February 2026

link road from A50 to M6 J20 southbound/M56 J9 | Southbound | Road Works

21 February 2026
Inside Trump’s Board of Peace plan to ‘rebuild’ Gaza – UK Times

Inside Trump’s Board of Peace plan to ‘rebuild’ Gaza – UK Times

21 February 2026
Top News
MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times

21 February 2026

M53 northbound within J10 | Northbound | Accident

21 February 2026
England 21-42 Ireland: Limp Red Roses’ Six Nations hopes go up in smoke as visitors make history with record win at Twickenham

England 21-42 Ireland: Limp Red Roses’ Six Nations hopes go up in smoke as visitors make history with record win at Twickenham

21 February 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • MPs to consider inquiry into trade envoy role after Andrew’s arrest – UK Times
  • M53 northbound within J10 | Northbound | Accident
  • England 21-42 Ireland: Limp Red Roses’ Six Nations hopes go up in smoke as visitors make history with record win at Twickenham
  • Wales vs Scotland live: Latest score and updates as struggling hosts eye long-awaited Six Nations success in Cardiff – UK Times
  • M53 northbound between J11 and J10 | Northbound | Congestion

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version