UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Sunblock, charcoal … and Powerball? Holiday weekend lottery drawing worth $1 billion – UK Times

29 August 2025

link road from A638 northbound to A1 northbound | Northbound | Road Works

29 August 2025

Jason Kelce blocked from working on brother Travis and the Chiefs’ NFL opener against the Chargers in Brazil

29 August 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Israel says body of hostage returned as military begins Gaza City offensive – UK Times
News

Israel says body of hostage returned as military begins Gaza City offensive – UK Times

By uk-times.com29 August 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

Israel has recovered the remains of a man killed in the 7 October 2023 attack, as it suspended scheduled pauses to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza City.

Israel Defense Forces branded the area “a dangerous combat zone” as it announced it would be suspending the “tactical local ceasefire” there from 10am local time [0700 GMT] on Friday in a post on X (Twitter).

The shift comes as Israel prepares to mobilise tens of thousands of troops to seize Gaza City. In the past, the country has said that the city is a Hamas stronghold, with a network of tunnels that remain in use by militants after several previous large-scale raids.

Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said in a statement that the body of Ilan Weiss, 55, of Kibbutz Be’eri, was returned to Israel. His wife, Shiri, and daughter, Noga, were also abducted and later released as part of a hostage-prisoner swap deal in November 2023. The remains of a second hostage, whose identity has not been released yet, were also recovered, the IDF says.

According to the military, the operation to recover the bodies was carried out by their Southern Command, “in collaboration with the Intelligence Directorate, the Shin Bet, and special forces”. Of the 251 hostages taken by Hamas-led militants almost 22 months ago, roughly 50 remain in Gaza including 20 that Israel believes to be alive.

Ilan Weiss, 55, was killed defending a kibbutz on 7 October 2023

Ilan Weiss, 55, was killed defending a kibbutz on 7 October 2023 (Hostages and Missing Families Forum)

Following the recovery of Weiss’s body, Netanyahu said he would not “rest or be silent” until all the hostages were returned to Israel.

“Together with all the citizens of Israel, my wife and I extend our heartfelt condolences to the dear families and share in their great sorrow,” he said. “The campaign to return the kidnapped continues continuously, we will not rest or be silent until we return all our kidnapped people home – the living and the dead alike.”

Gaza City was among the places where Israel paused fighting last month to allow food and aid supplies to enter from 10am to 8pm. The pauses also applied to Deir al-Balah and Muwasi, three locations in the strip where hundreds of thousands of displaced people are sheltering. Much of Gaza’s population has already been displaced several times since Israel invaded.

The city, which is the strip’s largest urban centre, is also home to some of the territory’s critical infrastructure and health facilities. In the statement, Israel’s military did not say whether they had notified residents or aid groups about the plans to resume daytime hostilities.

An Israeli airstrike in Gaza on Friday

An Israeli airstrike in Gaza on Friday (AFP/Getty)

Humanitarian and international organisations have warned of a huge impact on aid access and medical treatment for Palestinians if Israel pursues its plans to seize the city. On Thursday, the United Nations said the besieged strip could lose half of its hospital bed capacity if Israel invades as planned.

The suspension of the pause also comes one week after the world’s leading food security authority declared that Gaza City was being gripped by famine after months of warnings.

The Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, or IPC, said hunger has been driven by fighting and Israel’s blockade on most of the aid and magnified by widespread displacement and the collapse of food production. Analysis conducted by the organisation concluded hunger, starvation and child malnutrition had surpassed thresholds necessary to declare famine.

Palestinians waiting for aid in Khan Younis

Palestinians waiting for aid in Khan Younis (AFP/Getty)

The Norwegian Refugee Council, which coordinates a coalition of aid groups active in Gaza, said Israel’s preparation for its large-scale ground offensive had already made deliveries challenging.

“We have faced unprecedented access and movement restrictions,” spokesperson Shaina Low said on Friday. “Intensified military operations are going to further hinder our ability to respond.”

Additional reporting by AP

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Sunblock, charcoal … and Powerball? Holiday weekend lottery drawing worth $1 billion – UK Times

29 August 2025

link road from A638 northbound to A1 northbound | Northbound | Road Works

29 August 2025

A19 southbound exit for A183 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

29 August 2025

Julia Roberts caught in #MeToo storm as new film sparks controversy at Venice Film Festival – UK Times

29 August 2025

M6 northbound between J14 and J15 | Northbound | Vehicle Fire

29 August 2025

Carlos Alcaraz suffers injury scare but powers through to progress in US Open – UK Times

29 August 2025
Top News

Sunblock, charcoal … and Powerball? Holiday weekend lottery drawing worth $1 billion – UK Times

29 August 2025

link road from A638 northbound to A1 northbound | Northbound | Road Works

29 August 2025

Jason Kelce blocked from working on brother Travis and the Chiefs’ NFL opener against the Chargers in Brazil

29 August 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2025 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version