UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Super League: Catalans Dragons 4-40 Wigan Warriors – Visitors keep up title charge | Manchester News

30 August 2025

Verizon outage strikes thousands across the US as customers can’t send texts or calls – UK Times

30 August 2025

Trump lashes out at Rose Garden worker for damaging stone in controversial redesign – and shares video of the culprit: ‘Stupid’ – UK Times

30 August 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Guillermo del Toro insists new Frankenstein film is not AI metaphor – UK Times
News

Guillermo del Toro insists new Frankenstein film is not AI metaphor – UK Times

By uk-times.com30 August 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Get the latest entertainment news, reviews and star-studded interviews with our Independent Culture email

Get the latest entertainment news with our free Culture newsletter

Get the latest entertainment news with our free Culture newsletter

IndependentCulture

Guillermo del Toro’s Frankenstein isn’t exactly a horror film, nor is it a metaphor for AI, he claims.

The film, starring Jacob Elordi as the monster and Oscar Isaac as his creator, will premiere Saturday at the Venice Film Fesitval. Despite being over 200 years old, the story of Frankenstein has several themes that remain relevant to today’s audiences, including the dangers of technology.

Speaking ahead of the screening at the film’s official press conference, del Toro waded into the conversation around AI by affirming that his adaptation was not about the rapidly developing technology.

“It’s not intended as a metaphor for that,” del Toro said of AI, per Variety. “We live in a time of terror and intimidation, certainly. And the seminal question in the novel is, what is it to be human? What makes us human? There’s no more urgent task than to remain, in a time where everything is pushing towards a bipolar, understanding of our humanity.

“The movie tries to show imperfect characters and the right we have to remain imperfect, and the right we have to understand each other under the most oppressive circumstances,” he continued before adding, “I’m not afraid of artificial intelligence. I’m afraid of natural stupidity.”

Guillermo del Toro attends the 'Frankenstein' premiere at the Venice Film Festival

Guillermo del Toro attends the ‘Frankenstein’ premiere at the Venice Film Festival (Getty)

While Frankenstein has been adapted many times, Del Toro previously spoke about his version of the film, vowing it wouldn’t be a horror movie. Speaking to composer Alexandre Desplat at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, he said: “Somebody asked me the other day, does it have really scary scenes?”

“For the first time, I considered that. It is an emotional story for me,” he continued. “It’s as personal as anything. I’m asking a question about being a father, being a son… I’m not doing a horror movie – ever. I’m not trying to do that.”

On how The Shape of Water director and Desplat were working together to finalise a score for the film, del Toro said: “We are finding the emotion. And what I can say is, for me, it’s an incredibly emotional movie.”

Oscar Isaac, Guillermo del Toro and Jacob Elordi attend the 'Frankenstein' premiere at the Venice Film Festival

Oscar Isaac, Guillermo del Toro and Jacob Elordi attend the ‘Frankenstein’ premiere at the Venice Film Festival (Getty Images)

This particular version of Frankenstein is emotional for del Toro for a handful of reasons, one of which being the fact that he has dreamed of an adaptation of his own since childhood.

Apple TV+ logo

Watch Apple TV+ free for 7 day

New subscribers only. £8.99/mo. after free trial. Plan auto-renews until cancelled.

Try for free

ADVERTISEMENT. If you sign up to this service we will earn commission. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent.

Apple TV+ logo

Watch Apple TV+ free for 7 day

New subscribers only. £8.99/mo. after free trial. Plan auto-renews until cancelled.

Try for free

ADVERTISEMENT. If you sign up to this service we will earn commission. This revenue helps to fund journalism across The Independent.

“I’ve been following the creature since I was kid. I waited for the movie do be done in the right conditions creatively,” he said Saturday before the film’s premiere. Now that filming has wrapped and his work on the film is done, he joked: “I’m in postpartum depression.”

In addition to Elordi and Isaac, the film stars Christoph Waltz as Dr. Pretorious and Mia Goth as Victor’s fiancée Elizabeth Lavenza.

Frankenstein will be available on Netflix in November.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Super League: Catalans Dragons 4-40 Wigan Warriors – Visitors keep up title charge | Manchester News

30 August 2025

Verizon outage strikes thousands across the US as customers can’t send texts or calls – UK Times

30 August 2025

Trump lashes out at Rose Garden worker for damaging stone in controversial redesign – and shares video of the culprit: ‘Stupid’ – UK Times

30 August 2025

Continued funding for the HAF (Holiday Activities & Food) Programme

30 August 2025

Jannik Sinner made to work hard after battling into US Open fourth round – UK Times

30 August 2025

Musk appears to compare UK police to Nazi war criminals after five masked men were arrested trying to get into refugee hotel – UK Times

30 August 2025
Top News

Super League: Catalans Dragons 4-40 Wigan Warriors – Visitors keep up title charge | Manchester News

30 August 2025

Verizon outage strikes thousands across the US as customers can’t send texts or calls – UK Times

30 August 2025

Trump lashes out at Rose Garden worker for damaging stone in controversial redesign – and shares video of the culprit: ‘Stupid’ – UK Times

30 August 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2025 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version