- Rugby league journalist was stood down earlier this year
- Kent has been hit with a third, more serious charge
- Lawyer indicated that he will plead not guilty
- READ MORE: Paul Kent is stood down by Fox Sports
Sports journalist Paul Kent has been hit with a third domestic violence charge as he prepares to fight the allegations in a matter of weeks.
The 53-year-old Daily Telegraph and Fox Sports rugby league journalist is fighting charges he attacked a 33-year-old woman at his home in Lilyfield in May following an alleged domestic dispute.
NSW Police charged Mr Kent with common assault and intentionally choking a person without consent. He pleaded not guilty in court in May.
During a brief hearing on Monday, a more serious charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm was laid.
‘Can we just clarify I think a third charge has been laid since the last time we were before the court,’ Mr Kent’s lawyer, Jon-Pierre Elias told the court.
A court has heard Paul Kent (above) has been charged with the serious charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm
‘Assault occasioning actual bodily harm.’
Mr Elias confirmed his client would also be pleading not guilty to the charge.
NSW Police allege Mr Kent was involved in an ‘altercation’ with a 33-year-old woman before she was ‘allegedly assaulted’.
Officers attended and initially arrested both Mr Kent and the woman, but she was released without charge.
The 53-year-old did not attend Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Monday, where it was confirmed he will fight the allegations at a hearing on December 11 and 12.
The court heard the full brief of evidence was yet to be served, with Magistrate Theo Tsavdaridis ordering it to be served by December 4.
The court was previously told there were three defence witnesses.
Outside court in May, Mr Kent told reporters he was looking forward to the ‘full story’ coming out.
Kent has previously said he was looking forward to the ‘full story’ coming out
When asked what his employers thought about the charges, Mr Kent said ‘they fully support’ him.
‘I’m embarrassed about it, but unfortunately it’s beyond my control so I’ll just let the court process see its way through now and once we get to the end then we can hopefully see some things through different eyes,’ he said.
‘It’s the rugby league soap opera, it’s the way it rolls … that’s fine, people are entitled to their opinions and we’ll get to the end of it and everything will be OK.’
The 53-year-old has been temporarily stood down from his roles as a senior writer for The Daily Telegraph and host of Fox Sports show NRL 360.
He will return to court in December for a hearing.