UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

19 May 2026
Food Village applications open to traders

Food Village applications open to traders

19 May 2026
Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

19 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times
News

Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times

By uk-times.com19 May 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Fourth case of meningitis linked to Reading outbreak confirmed in junior school pupil – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up for our free Health Check email to receive exclusive analysis on the week in health

Get our free Health Check email

Get our free Health Check email

Health Check

A fourth person has been diagnosed with meningitis B following an outbreak in Reading, the UKHSA has said.

The child, whose age has not been revealed, is a student at Westwood Farm Junior School and is recovering well.

According to the UKHSA, the patient has “links with the same wider social network” as the other cases in the outbreak, which has left a 17 year old dead.

The child attends Westwood Farm Junior School in Reading
The child attends Westwood Farm Junior School in Reading (Google Maps)

Dr Rachel Mearkle, a consultant in health protection at UKHSA, said: “A fourth case of meningococcal disease has been confirmed in Reading.

“This fourth case has links with the same wider social network as the other cases, where measures, including antibiotic prophylaxis, have already been implemented.”

Ms Mearkle said information had been shared with parents and carers at the school to advise them of the signs and symptoms to look out for.

“The risk to the wider public remains low and this case is not linked to the incidents in Kent or Dorset,” she added.

Lewis Waters, 17, died last week
Lewis Waters, 17, died last week (Facebook/Simon Waters)

Lewis Waters, who was one of the four cases of menB in the area, died last week

The 17 year old attended Henley College in Oxfordshire and fell ill last week. His father, Simon Waters, said that “within a few hours”, he had developed sepsis and died.

The other two cases being treated are pupils at separate schools – Reading Blue Coat School and Highdown Secondary School and Sixth Form Centre.

Close contacts of the cases were offered antibiotics as a precaution.

On Friday, the UKHSA said that tests showed the infection was not the same strain of meningitis B linked to the deadly outbreak Kent in March.

The outbreak led to the deaths of two people and resulted in thousands being given the menB jab or antibiotics.

More follows…

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

19 May 2026
Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

19 May 2026

Married at First Sight UK allegations are ‘serious’, says DCMS | UK News

19 May 2026

A27 eastbound within the A283 junction | Eastbound | Congestion

19 May 2026
Chinese table tennis fans angry after flag double mishap – UK Times

Chinese table tennis fans angry after flag double mishap – UK Times

19 May 2026

A41 westbound between B5133 and M53 | Westbound | Congestion

19 May 2026
Top News
Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times

19 May 2026
Food Village applications open to traders

Food Village applications open to traders

19 May 2026
Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News

19 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Sadiq Khan backs Starmer as he warns Labour rebels against leadership contest – UK Times
  • Food Village applications open to traders
  • Pep Guardiola: Manchester City’s 115 Premier League charges and a legacy that could be rewritten | Manchester News
  • Antonio Conte ‘set to QUIT Napoli’ – with another ex-Chelsea manager in line to return to replace him and work with Kevin De Bruyne, Scott McTominay and Co
  • Married at First Sight UK allegations are ‘serious’, says DCMS | UK News

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version