- Collingwood tired of playing Opening Round in Sydney
- Set to ask the AFL for a fixture change in 2026 season
- Footy supporters and GWS Giants mocked Magpies online
Collingwood have been slammed by footy fans after reportedly pleading with the AFL not to schedule them to play in the 2026 Opening Round in Sydney.
The Magpies have started their last two campaigns with heavy defeats against GWS Giants in the Harbour City – and don’t want history to repeat itself next year.
A flight from Melbourne to Sydney typically takes a little over an hour – but Magpies officials believe this is too arduous for their playing group.
In contrast, the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers will head to interstate venues from Perth on multiple occasions this year – with each flight to Sydney a touch over five hours.
Understandably, footy supporters were bemused by Collingwood – regarded as the most powerful and cashed-up club in the AFL – calling for a fixture revamp.
‘Having to fly an hour! Oh the humanity,’ joked one.
Collingwood have been blasted by footy fans after reportedly pleading with the AFL not to feature them in the next Opening Round in Sydney (pictured left, Magpies star Darcy Cameron)

The Magpies have started their last two campaigns with defeats against GWS in Sydney’s west – and they don’t want the same outcome next year (pictured, Magpies star Josh Daicos in action against the Giants last month)

Footy supporters were bemused by Collingwood calling for a fixture revamp (pictured)

Another pointed out the flight to Sydney from Melbourne is a little over an hour and felt the Magpies were being ‘pretentious’

This fan felt the Magpies were being petulant following season-opening defeats against GWS in 2024 and 2025
‘You’re getting paid to play footy, yet complaining about a one-hour flight. Stop being so pretentious,’ said another.
‘Typical Collingwood…lost two years in a row so now they want to pick up their bat and ball [and leave],’ offered a third.
It comes as Channel Seven footy reporter Mitch Cleary declared this week the Magpies were ‘putting their foot down’ and were ‘done with playing Opening Round’.
The basis for their plea relates to having to travel interstate for the clash.
Cleary added the club are ‘in favour of the concept overall’ – but they are now set to follow the lead of Carlton, who ‘lobbied’ with the AFL to stay put and play their first game in Melbourne.
‘The Pies are the only club to travel in both years of Opening Round to date, losing both games…..they want the load shared,’ he added.
‘It is set to be a key talking point at the CEOs meeting in Gather Round next week.’
Collingwood boss Craig McRae said he would like to see other Victorian clubs travel to play in Opening Round.

The Magpies suffered a 52-point defeat at the Sydney Showground on March 9 versus the Giants (pictured left, Jeremy Howe)

Collingwood coach Craig McRae said he would ‘like to see other sides play in Sydney next season’

The Giants subsequently reacted to the news by posting three ‘laughing face’ emojis (pictured)
‘I’d like to see other teams feature a bit more, too. I don’t know whether it’s us next year….I’m not sure,’ he said.
The concept of Opening Round has come under scrutiny in recent weeks, despite Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS all reporting membership rises.
But some have voiced concerns over Opening Round, with Blues coach Michael Voss adamant fixtures should be held in multiple states.
‘What makes us a little bit different is that we’ve got a national game, and I don’t see why we don’t advertise it….launch it in every single state,’ Voss said.
Last year, Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond and Collingwood all travelled north to play Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS respectively.