- An Australian boxer accused of fraud
- Claimed to be battling breast and cervical cancer
A boxer who had been accused of allegedly defrauding members of the public for more than $37,000 after claiming that she had cancer has been allowed to return to compete in the sport.
Tara Michelle Enoka pleaded not guilty last August after she was charged with allegedly attempting to gain a financial advantage through fraudulent behaviour in Joondalup Magistrates Court.
Western Australia Police had alleged that 500 individuals from 16 different countries had donated to a GoFundMe campaign set up to help her battle her alleged illness.
Between March and September 2021, police allege that the GoFundMe page amassed over $37,000, with donors being under the perception that those funds would be given to Enoka to help her fight a ‘rare medical condition’.
A now-deleted YouTube video had been included as part of the campaign in which Enoka had allegedly claimed to have been suffering from breast and cervical cancer.
The GoFundMe page was eventually deleted but authorities have alleged that the funds were moved to Enoka’s personal bank account before that.
An Australian kickboxer and mother-of-four pleaded not guilty to charges of attempting to defraud members of the public

Tara Enoka had claimed that she was battling cervical and breast cancer. A family member had set up a GoFundMe page in which she allegedly accumulated $37,000 in donations that was said to be used for her treatment
‘It will be alleged the woman had not been diagnosed with the medical condition as the fundraising account and supporting video claimed,’ a police spokesman said.
In July 2024, the Combat Sports Commission notified Enoka that her registration as a fighter had been suspended.
The organisation stated that it believed Enoka was ‘not a fit and proper person as detailed in the Combat Sports Act’.
Under section 53(a) of the 1987 Combat Sports Act, Enoka applied to the State Administrative Tribunal for a review of the commission’s decision last August, attempting to lift her suspension.
The State Tribunal judged in her favour last year with the final decision being published last week.
‘I find the applicant’s interest in continuing to be able to compete in her chosen field is not outweighed by the public interest in the suspension being in place prior to the review proceedings being heard,’ SAT member Patricia Le Miere said in her findings.

She had been suspended from fighting by the Combat Sports Commission but following an appeal, she will now return to the ring
On handing down the judgement to stay Enoka’s suspension, Le Miere reasoned, among other points, that Enoka could be affected by the financial impact of being unable to compete.
‘Whilst the financial impact would appear to be modest, I accept the applicant’s assertion that given her financial position, even a small amount of additional income may not have an insignificant effect,’ she said.
The Combat Sports Commission declined to comment.
The West Australian reports that Enoka has since pleaded guilty to a separate charge relating to the possession of stolen or unlawfully obtained property.
She is due to be sentenced in Joondalup Magistrates Court on May 12.
In the YouTube clip which was published online, she had included a hashtag that read #StandWithTara and had appeared to claim that she had ‘never been the type to ask people for help’ but added she has now learned: ‘it is OK to ask for help.’
She added: ‘We’re raising the money to help pay for the treatments that I need to potentially save my life so that I can be here for my kids to watch them grow up.’
It comes as boxing promotions agency Dragonfire Boxing has announced that Enoka will return to the boxing ring on Friday, August 23 to take on Katelan Stack.
The pair have met twice before, with Enoka winning the first bout by split decision before Stack enacted revenge in September 2023.
The pair will fight for the Australian National Boxing Federation’s Australasian Lightweight Championship at Metro City in Northbridge.