UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

M3 J3 eastbound exit | Eastbound | Road Works

22 May 2026
Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

22 May 2026

A19 southbound between A689 and A1027 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

22 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Judge dismisses human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was mistakenly deported – UK Times
News

Judge dismisses human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was mistakenly deported – UK Times

By uk-times.com22 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Judge dismisses human smuggling charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was mistakenly deported – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The latest headlines from our reporters across the US sent straight to your inbox each weekday

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Your briefing on the latest headlines from across the US

Evening Headlines

A human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, whose mistaken deportation helped galvanize opposition to President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, was thrown out on Friday.

Abrego Garcia’s deportation to El Salvador last year became an embarrassment for Trump officials when they were ordered to return him to the U.S. Abrego Garcia claimed that both the timing of the criminal charges and inflammatory statements about him by top Trump officials demonstrated that the prosecution was vindictive.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, ruling from Nashville, granted Abrego Garcia’s motion to dismiss for “selective or vindictive prosecution.”

Without Abrego Garcia’s “successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the government would not have brought this prosecution,” said Crenshaw, dismissing claims of “new evidence” against him.

In earlier court filings, Crenshaw wrote he had found some evidence that the prosecution against Abrego Garcia “may be vindictive.” The judge said many statements by Trump administration officials “raise cause for concern.” He cited a statement by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche that seemed to suggest the Justice Department charged Abrego Garcia because he won his wrongful-deportation case.

First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee Rob McGuire had resisted requests to provide documents and testimony to Abrego Garcia from senior Justice Department officials including Blanche. McGuire insisted that he was the decision-maker in the case and that his motivations were the only relevant ones.

Abrego Garcia was charged with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling, with prosecutors claiming that he accepted money to transport within the United States people who were in the country illegally.

The charges stem from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee for speeding. Body camera footage from a Tennessee Highway Patrol officer shows a calm exchange with Abrego Garcia. There were nine passengers in the car, and the officers discussed among themselves their suspicions of smuggling. However, Abrego Garcia was eventually allowed to continue driving with only a warning.

A Department of Homeland Security agent testified at an earlier hearing that he did not begin investigating the traffic stop until after the U.S. Supreme Court said in April 2025 that Trump’s Republican administration must work to bring Abrego Garcia back from El Salvador. The deportation violated a 2019 immigration court order granting him protection from deportation to his home country, after the judge found he faced danger there from a gang that targeted his family.

Abrego Garcia is a Salvadoran citizen with an American wife and child who has lived in Maryland for years although he immigrated to the U.S. illegally as a teenager. The 2019 order allowed him to live and work in the U.S. under Immigration and Customs Enforcement supervision, but he was not given residency status.

Meanwhile, Trump administration officials have said Abrego Garcia cannot remain in the U.S. They have vowed to deport him to a third country, most recently Liberia.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

M3 J3 eastbound exit | Eastbound | Road Works

22 May 2026
Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

22 May 2026

A19 southbound between A689 and A1027 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

22 May 2026
Super League: Leigh 42-6 Hull FC – Hanley and Charnley star in win | Manchester News

Super League: Leigh 42-6 Hull FC – Hanley and Charnley star in win | Manchester News

22 May 2026
King Charles makes surprise appearance at sold-out Shakespeare play in Stratford-upon-Avon – UK Times

King Charles makes surprise appearance at sold-out Shakespeare play in Stratford-upon-Avon – UK Times

22 May 2026

Morrisons planning to close 100 stores in next few months | UK News

22 May 2026
Top News

M3 J3 eastbound exit | Eastbound | Road Works

22 May 2026
Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times

22 May 2026

A19 southbound between A689 and A1027 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

22 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • M3 J3 eastbound exit | Eastbound | Road Works
  • Richard Childress Racing is retiring Kyle Busch’s No. 8 car until his son is ready to take over – UK Times
  • A19 southbound between A689 and A1027 | Southbound | Broken down vehicle
  • Super League: Leigh 42-6 Hull FC – Hanley and Charnley star in win | Manchester News
  • King Charles makes surprise appearance at sold-out Shakespeare play in Stratford-upon-Avon – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version