UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot
Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

19 May 2026

M27 westbound between J9 and J8 | Westbound | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement

19 May 2026
Transport Secretary ends ‘era of neglect’ on HS2 with thorough reset

Transport Secretary ends ‘era of neglect’ on HS2 with thorough reset

19 May 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Hong Kong’s biggest LGBTQ carnival scrapped for second year due to venue issues – UK Times
News

Hong Kong’s biggest LGBTQ carnival scrapped for second year due to venue issues – UK Times

By uk-times.com19 May 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Hong Kong’s biggest LGBTQ carnival scrapped for second year due to venue issues – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

Hong Kong’s biggest LGBTQ carnival was cancelled for the second successive year after organisers said they had failed to get the necessary licences and lost access to their venue weeks before the event.

Organisers of Pink Dot HK said in a statement on Monday that this year’s outdoor carnival, scheduled for 14 June, would no longer go ahead after the venue operator, Link Reit, withdrew access to Stanley Plaza and Murray House, where the event was due to take place.

“With just a month to go until the scheduled event date, we’ve been diligently following procedures to apply for the necessary licences but haven’t yet received approval from the relevant authorities,” they wrote on Instagram. “Faced with this uncertainty, given the tight timeline and the involvement of numerous partner organisations, after thorough consideration, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Pink Dot HK outdoor carnival scheduled for 14 June 2026.”

Founded in 2014 and inspired by Singapore’s Pink Dot movement, Pink Dot HK grew into one of Hong Kong’s most visible LGBTQ events, combining concerts, workshops, and community activities.

The 2024 edition, held at Art Park, marked the event’s 10th anniversary and saw more than 13,000 visitors.

Link REIT told the AFP news agency that it had been liaising with organisers “to support the event’s preparation” and said use of the venue was “subject to the organiser obtaining all licences required under applicable laws”.

In 2025, organisers said they had been unable to secure Art Park as a venue after the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority withdrew from negotiations “without explanation”. They then replaced the cancelled outdoor event with a livestreamed concert and fashion show, featuring performances by Cantopop singers Marf Yau Yin-tung of Collar and On Chan, according to the South China Morning Post.

The repeated cancellation of a major LGBTQ event has heightened concerns among activists that space for public queer events in Hong Kong has narrowed in recent years, particularly after Beijing imposed a national security law on the city in 2020.

The law, introduced following mass street protests in 2019, criminalises acts of secession, subversion, terrorism, and “collusion with foreign forces” and prescribes penalties that can extend to life in prison.

The 2024 edition of the Pink Dot carnival saw more than 13,000 visitors
The 2024 edition of the Pink Dot carnival saw more than 13,000 visitors (AFP via Getty)

The UN Human Rights Committee said in 2022 that the law’s vague provisions had led to a “curtailment of a wide range of rights and freedoms”, including freedom of expression and assembly.

Since the law came into force, dozens of civil society groups have shut down. Public demonstrations have become rare and organisers of events have reported difficulties securing venues, sponsors and official approvals, Hong Kong Free Press reported.

Hong Kong Pride last held a full street parade in November 2018, when organisers expected nearly 12,000 participants to march from Victoria Park to Edinburgh Place in Central.

In November 2025, the Hong Kong Pride Committee cancelled a planned outdoor festival at Kwun Tong Promenade after being told the venue was unavailable. The operator Aquabeat said government construction work meant the site could not be used, though the Buildings Department later said no work had been scheduled for that date.

Hong Kong courts have in recent years expanded some rights for same-sex couples through a series of rulings on visas, housing, and inheritance. In 2023, the city’s highest court ordered the government to create a legal framework recognising same-sex partnerships, although it stopped short of recognising same-sex marriage.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

19 May 2026

M27 westbound between J9 and J8 | Westbound | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement

19 May 2026

A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Road Works

19 May 2026
Burnham could beat Farage in a general election, new poll suggests – UK Times

Burnham could beat Farage in a general election, new poll suggests – UK Times

19 May 2026
Sale: Hyron Andrews and Willgriff John part of 20 Sharks departures | Manchester News

Sale: Hyron Andrews and Willgriff John part of 20 Sharks departures | Manchester News

19 May 2026

M1 J24 southbound exit | Southbound | Broken down vehicle

19 May 2026
Top News
Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times

19 May 2026

M27 westbound between J9 and J8 | Westbound | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement

19 May 2026
Transport Secretary ends ‘era of neglect’ on HS2 with thorough reset

Transport Secretary ends ‘era of neglect’ on HS2 with thorough reset

19 May 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

Recent Posts

  • Katie Price reveals one of ‘missing’ husband’s final text messages | Lifestyle – UK Times
  • M27 westbound between J9 and J8 | Westbound | RoadOrCarriagewayOrLaneManagement
  • Transport Secretary ends ‘era of neglect’ on HS2 with thorough reset
  • A417 northbound between A419/A429 and A436 | Northbound | Road Works
  • Burnham could beat Farage in a general election, new poll suggests – UK Times

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version