At least two people have been killed during an “active shooter” situation near a mosque in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego on Monday, according to a report.
The incident was reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego — located in the neighborhood of Clairemont — shortly after 3 pm ET. About an hour later, police said the threat had been “neutralized” and that a media staging area was being established.
NBC San Diego reported that two suspects are dead. This has not been confirmed by police.
Aerial footage of the scene showed a substantial police presence, with dozens of vehicles lining a street. Heavily armed officers were seen entering the center as people dispersed from the area, some holding hands.
California Governor Gavin Newsom said in a statement that he has been briefed on the incident and is coordinating with law enforcement.

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” Newsom said.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria also said he was aware of the reported shooting. He said officials are “actively working to protect the community and secure the area.”
People living and working in the surrounding neighborhoods were urged to shelter in place, according to NBC News.

According to its website, the Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, which has an estimated population of some 3.2 million people.
“Our mission is to serve the religious needs of the San Diego Muslim population and work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation,” the website states.
The center hosts five daily prayers, sermons and various educational seminars.
This is a breaking story…



