Former NRL star Rhys Wesser has been charged after allegedly stalking a woman he was romantically involved with.
Police allege the premiership-winning former Penrith and Souths player stalked the woman in the inner-city Sydney suburb of Redfern last month.
His case was before Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court last Wednesday, where police alleged he intimidated the woman ‘with the intention of causing fear of physical or mental harm’, according to court documents.
An interim apprehended violence order against Wesser was taken out in order to protect the woman.
‘Police were told a man had intimidated a 53-year-old woman, who is known to him, between January 23 and January 31,’ a police spokesman told News Corp.
‘Police charged Wesser with one count of stalking on February 5.’
Penrith Panthers great Rhys Wesser (pictured) has been charged with stalking after allegedly intimidating a woman he was romantically involved with
The 46-year-old (pictured playing for Souths) has been accused of committing the offence between January 23 and 31 this year
Nicknamed ‘Rhys Lightning’, the former Queensland State of Origin star scored 129 tries in an NRL career that spanned 219 matches
Wesser did not appear in court when the matter was heard on February 18.
Magistrate Michael Love excused Wesser from appearing when the matter is next heard on March 4.
The Queensland-born fullback/winger was nicknamed ‘Rhys Lightning’ after scoring 129 tries in an NRL career that saw him play 219 games from 1998 to 2011.
Wesser made his first-grade debut with Penrith, where he scored 113 tries and became a cult hero thanks to his speed and knack for sniffing out scoring opportunities.
In 2002 he scored 19 tries to set a record for the club.
Wesser was also part of the Panthers’ 2003 team when they defeated the Sydney Roosters in the grand final to win their second premiership.
He shifted to Souths for the 2009 season but suffered a huge setback in the second round when his year was ruined by a serious knee injury.
Wesser returned and played 41 matches for the Rabbitohs before retiring in August 2011.
He also starred for Queensland in four State of Origin matches.








