UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Nominate your local hero for the Cheltenham Medal of Honour

17 February 2026

Challenge to Met Police’s Freemason disclosure rule thrown out | UK News

17 February 2026
Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

17 February 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » India’s flagship AI summit descends into chaos amid long queues and Modi lockdown – UK Times
News

India’s flagship AI summit descends into chaos amid long queues and Modi lockdown – UK Times

By uk-times.com17 February 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
India’s flagship AI summit descends into chaos amid long queues and Modi lockdown – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Sign up to the Independent Climate email for the latest advice on saving the planet

Get our free Climate email

Get our free Climate email

Independent Climate

India’s flagship artificial intelligence summit was overshadowed by chaos on its opening day amid long queues in unseasonal heat, traffic congestions, and sudden security sweeps ahead of prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit.

Thousands of people on Monday attended the summit at the 123-acre Bharat Mandapam complex in the capital Delhi. Over 250,000 had registered their attendance over the week. High profile guests included French president Emmanuel Macron and tech giants Sam Altman and Sundar Pichai as India aims to position itself as a global AI hub.

But for many on the ground, the first day was defined less by grand geopolitical messaging and more by blocked gates, delayed panels, and uncertainty over access.

After allowing attendees inside the venue, including the main hall where the exhibitions were set up by companies showcasing their AI capabilities, the zone was reportedly evacuated in the afternoon for security checks ahead of Mr Modi’s visit, forcing exhibitors and founders to leave their stalls for several hours.

Founders posted online about being unable to retrieve their equipment which they later said were stolen after the sudden evacuation.

Dhananjay Yadav, co-founder and chief executive of AI wearable startup NeoSapien, wrote on X that security personnel arrived around noon and asked exhibitors to leave ahead of the prime minister’s visit.

“I asked: ‘Should we take our wearables?’ They said, others are leaving even laptops behind, security will take care,” he wrote.

“Later we found our wearables were stolen,” he said.

He added: “We paid for flights, accommodation, logistics and even the booth. Only to see our wearables disappear inside a high-security zone.”

Devesh Mahla, deputy commissioner of police, New Delhi district, told The Indian Express on Tuesday that they had not received any complaint in the matter so far.

Some exhibitors at the venue complained to organisers about unclear instructions and overlapping security directions, while some were unsure when access would be restored.

Delegates also described confusion over entry procedures and security checks, Reuters reported.

Sharing a photo of long queues outside the venue on X, Maitreya Wagh, founder of Bengaluru-based AI company Bolna, wrote: “Gates are closed so could not access my own booth at the AI Summit.

“If you’re also stuck outside and wanted to visit the @bolna_dev team, dm me. We may set up a mini-booth at some Connaught Place cafe,” he joked.

Several roads have been blocked and traffic was getting diverted in central Delhi ahead of the summit.

Organisers told Indian media on Tuesday that steps had been taken to ease congestion and improve coordination for the remaining days of the summit. By Tuesday morning, queues had eased slightly, though traffic diversions around central Delhi continued to affect arrival times for delegates and media.

“This is the biggest AI summit in the world. The response was phenomenal. The energy is palpable. We can see the organization is very smooth now. If anybody has faced any problems yesterday, we apologise for that,” India’s Information Technology minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said.

“Whatever feedback you have, please share with us. We are open-minded. We will make efforts to make the experience smoother and enjoyable for all of you. We have a war room which has been operating since yesterday. My entire team is working hard day and night for this summit,” he said.

Visitors use their mobile phones to take pictures of a Jio humanoid robot named Elixis at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit
Visitors use their mobile phones to take pictures of a Jio humanoid robot named Elixis at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit (REUTERS)

The confusion extended into day two when Mr Gates’s name briefly disappeared from a list of speakers on the summit website, triggering speculation that he had been disinvited due to recent criticism over his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

One Indian media report cited government sources as saying Mr Gates was “not expected” to attend and that his invitation had been “reviewed”.

But a spokesperson for Mr Gates said the reports were not accurate, telling The Independent: “Bill Gates is attending the AI Impact Summit. He will be delivering his keynote as scheduled.”

Mr Gates’s invitation had earlier drawn criticism in India, with his visit attracting protests in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh by opposition political party members.

He arrived in India on Monday and met Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu in Amaravati where he praised the state’s use of AI and technology in health, agriculture and education. He has been reviewing projects backed by the Gates Foundation, which is active in public health initiatives in the state.

The summit will continue till 20 February, with keynote addresses and high-level sessions scheduled on Thursday and Friday.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Nominate your local hero for the Cheltenham Medal of Honour

17 February 2026

Challenge to Met Police’s Freemason disclosure rule thrown out | UK News

17 February 2026
Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

17 February 2026
Tyson Fury: Heavyweight will have no coach or nutritionist for comeback fight against Makhmudov | Manchester News

Tyson Fury: Heavyweight will have no coach or nutritionist for comeback fight against Makhmudov | Manchester News

17 February 2026
Jesse Jackson death: The civil rights leader’s life in photos – UK Times

Jesse Jackson death: The civil rights leader’s life in photos – UK Times

17 February 2026
Britain’s biggest banks to create alternative to Mastercard and Visa over Donald Trump fears – UK Times

Britain’s biggest banks to create alternative to Mastercard and Visa over Donald Trump fears – UK Times

17 February 2026
Top News

Nominate your local hero for the Cheltenham Medal of Honour

17 February 2026

Challenge to Met Police’s Freemason disclosure rule thrown out | UK News

17 February 2026
Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

Trump skirts question on Melania’s Valentine’s Day gift during Air Force One interview – UK Times

17 February 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version