UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

A47 eastbound at a minor junction between A143 and B1370 | Eastbound | Road Works

16 February 2026
A gold medal for comedy! The most hilarious Winter Olympic memes – from Canadian hockey cheating to home-made curling

A gold medal for comedy! The most hilarious Winter Olympic memes – from Canadian hockey cheating to home-made curling

16 February 2026

Ireland Rugby: IRFU turns off social media comments after EdwinEdogbo abuse | UK News

16 February 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » Sydney police plead for safe return of 85-year-old who was kidnapped by mistake – UK Times
News

Sydney police plead for safe return of 85-year-old who was kidnapped by mistake – UK Times

By uk-times.com16 February 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Sydney police plead for safe return of 85-year-old who was kidnapped by mistake – UK Times
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

On The Ground newsletter: Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly dispatch from our international correspondents

Get a weekly international news dispatch

On The Ground

Police in Sydney are asking for the safe return of an elderly man who they believe was kidnapped by mistake.

Chris Baghsarian, 85, was taken from his home in North Ryde just after 5.00am local time on Friday. Detectives say a group of at least three people forced their way into his house and drove him away in a dark SUV.

Investigators are confident he was not the intended target. They believe the kidnappers meant to seize someone else but went to the wrong address.

So far, Mr Baghsarian’s family has not received any ransom demand.

Mr Baghsarian is a grandfather who lives alone and “needs daily medication”. Officers are worried about his health and say time is critical.

“The family are in distress. All they want is their father to be returned, their grandfather to be returned,” Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said.

“At this stage, our view is that he’s still alive and we’re looking for his safe return,” he said.

“This is a difficult case because in a normal kidnapping case, we would be told of a ransom. And what I can say is that I’m one million per cent confident that they have the wrong person.”

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that videos and images believed to have been recorded by the kidnappers have been widely circulated in Sydney’s underworld. They reportedly show the 85-year-old tied up and injured.

Mr Marks said the footage was “distressing” and not helpful to the investigation.

“It’s not ideal that those images are out there,” Mr Marks said. “I have seen the videos,” he added. “They are distressing to see an 85-year-old man in that condition.”

Police say CCTV footage from when Mr Baghsarian was taken shows a dark vehicle arriving in the street before dawn. Two people in hooded clothing can be seen approaching the house.

Minutes later, they return carrying a man who appears to be struggling and place him into the SUV. The vehicle then drives away. A burnt-out car matching the description was later found in a nearby suburb.

Police have urged those responsible to release Mr Baghsarian at a safe public place.

They are also asking residents to report any unusual activity, especially at properties that appear empty.

“Let police know where he’s currently located or alternatively drop Mr Baghsarian off at a shopping centre or an emergency department or even a nursing home,” NSW premier Chris Minns appealed to the kidnappers.

“We urge them to do that as soon as possible.”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

A47 eastbound at a minor junction between A143 and B1370 | Eastbound | Road Works

16 February 2026

Ireland Rugby: IRFU turns off social media comments after EdwinEdogbo abuse | UK News

16 February 2026
Royal Mail blames poor weather and sickness for delayed deliveries – UK Times

Royal Mail blames poor weather and sickness for delayed deliveries – UK Times

16 February 2026

M60 anti-clockwise within J15 before J14 exit | Anti-Clockwise | Congestion

16 February 2026
The highly contagious virus spreading at the Olympics – and how to stop it – UK Times

The highly contagious virus spreading at the Olympics – and how to stop it – UK Times

16 February 2026

M62 westbound within J9 | Westbound | Road Works

16 February 2026
Top News

A47 eastbound at a minor junction between A143 and B1370 | Eastbound | Road Works

16 February 2026
A gold medal for comedy! The most hilarious Winter Olympic memes – from Canadian hockey cheating to home-made curling

A gold medal for comedy! The most hilarious Winter Olympic memes – from Canadian hockey cheating to home-made curling

16 February 2026

Ireland Rugby: IRFU turns off social media comments after EdwinEdogbo abuse | UK News

16 February 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2026 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version