UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Aryna Sabalenka gets measure of revenge with win over Leylah Fernandez – UK Times

30 August 2025

A1 southbound within the A69 junction | Southbound | Road Works

30 August 2025

A1 northbound within the A69 junction | Northbound | Road Works

30 August 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » BBC Proms performance interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters | UK News
News

BBC Proms performance interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters | UK News

By uk-times.com29 August 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Kathryn Armstrong News

Supplied People standing in a concert hall below seated audience members hold up black signs with white writing on themSupplied

Pro-Palestinian demonstrators could be seen holding signs in the upper gallery of the Royal Albert Hall

A performance by Melbourne’s Symphony Orchestra (MSO) at the Proms in London has been interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters.

Friday night’s recital had just begun when the orchestra was forced to stop playing for more than 10 minutes due to the demonstration. It later restarted its performance.

Jewish Artists for Palestine, which describes itself as a group of “anti-Zionist Jewish writers, visual and performance artists” has claimed responsibility.

It said in a statement that the interruption was in rejection to “Zionist funding, censorship and complicity in our cultural institutions” over the Gaza war, including the MSO and the . The MSO has been approached for comment.

In a video posted online by a pro-Palestinian group linked to the protesters, people can be seen standing in the upper gallery of the Royal Albert Hall holding black handwritten fabric signs reading “complicit in genocide” and “Jewish Artists for Palestine”.

“The MSO has blood on its hands,” a woman can be heard to shout.

The interruption was captured on Radio 3, which was broadcasting the performance.

Announcer Ian Skelly could be heard narrating what was happening during the interruption, including that security was bought in to remove the protesters.

Radio 3 then broke out of the broadcast for several minutes to play recorded pieces of classical music, during which time Sam Jackson, controller of Radio 3 and Proms, came on stage to make a statement.

Angela Tanner, who was in the stalls, told the that it took quite a while for the protesters to be removed.

“The whole programme had to start again and has been put into a different order after the piano was put onto the stage and taken off again,” she said.

“There was lots of booing from the audience then eventually they [the organisers] announced thanks for our patience.”

Jewish Artists for Palestine said in a statement that it had targeted the MSO’s concert after they cancelled a performance by acclaimed pianist Jayson Gillham last year.

Gillham’s performance in Sydney was cancelled due to comments he made in support of Gazans. The MSO has since said the cancellation had been a mistake.

Shouts of “you silenced Jayson Gillham” and the “MSO is complicit in genocide” was also heard, followed by booing from the audience.

Jewish Artists for Palestine also cited the MSO’s funding and previous performances that Friday night’s principal artist, Khatia Buniatishvili, had given with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

Another audience member, who did not wish to be named, said two of the protest groups were promptly taken out of the building by security but it took more time to eject the third.

She said there was a second round of shouting after the performance resumed but that this was quickly stopped.

“Overall, the atmosphere seemed to be strongly against the protest, with many members of the audience annoyed and shouting obscenities with anger at the protesters.”

In a statement, the said: “We are sorry about the disruption to our coverage of the Proms on Radio 3 tonight.

“There was a disturbance at tonight’s Prom which meant the concert was paused for a few minutes and the live broadcast on Radio 3 diverted to pre-recorded music.

“The incident was dealt with swiftly by the Royal Albert Hall.

“Our priority is always the safety and wellbeing of everyone who attends the Proms, and we would like to thank our staff and the performers whose response helped keep disruption to a minimum.”

It is not the first time that a Proms performance has been interrupted by pro-Palestinian protesters. The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra had to stop its 2011 recital twice due to a disturbance by demonstrators.

In 2023, two protesters from environmental campaign group Just Stop Oil interrupted the First Night of the Proms after targeting a number of other events.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

More than 63,000 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Most of Gaza’s population has also been repeatedly displaced; more than 90% of homes are estimated to be damaged or destroyed; and the healthcare, water, sanitation and hygiene systems have collapsed; and UN-backed global food security experts have confirmed that there is famine in the Gaza City area.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Aryna Sabalenka gets measure of revenge with win over Leylah Fernandez – UK Times

30 August 2025

A1 southbound within the A69 junction | Southbound | Road Works

30 August 2025

A1 northbound within the A69 junction | Northbound | Road Works

30 August 2025

Keeping it in the family: Inside the Indian tradition of polyandrous marriages – UK Times

30 August 2025

A14 eastbound between M1/M6 and J1 | Eastbound | Accident

30 August 2025

Gang stole £46k of vapes in Washington warehouse raid | Manchester News

30 August 2025
Top News

Aryna Sabalenka gets measure of revenge with win over Leylah Fernandez – UK Times

30 August 2025

A1 southbound within the A69 junction | Southbound | Road Works

30 August 2025

A1 northbound within the A69 junction | Northbound | Road Works

30 August 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2025 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version