UK TimesUK Times
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
What's Hot

Protests rage in Indonesia as mob sets fire to parliament building | News – UK Times

30 August 2025

M1 northbound within J11A | Northbound | Congestion

30 August 2025

Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson spark reconciliation speculation with Vegas getaway

30 August 2025
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
UK TimesUK Times
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
  • TV & Showbiz
  • Money
  • Health
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • More
    • Web Stories
    • Trending
    • Press Release
UK TimesUK Times
Home » 2 civilians indicted for their role in a Pearl Harbor fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people in 2021 – UK Times
News

2 civilians indicted for their role in a Pearl Harbor fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people in 2021 – UK Times

By uk-times.com30 August 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

For free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emails

Sign up to our free breaking news emails

Sign up to our free breaking news emails

Breaking News

A grand jury has indicted two civilian workers on charges they caused the Navy to provide the Hawaii Department of Health with false information about jet fuel that spilled from a Pearl Harbor storage facility before it later seeped into drinking water and sickened 6,000 people over Thanksgiving in 2021.

The indictments are the first to result from the fuel spill that angered Hawaii residents, lawmakers and military service members and their families. The military decided to close the aging World War II-era fuel tanks after the spill.

A Navy investigation in 2022 found shoddy management and human error caused the leak at the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility. The Defense Department’s inspector general last year found Navy officials lacked sufficient understanding of the risks of maintaining massive fuel storage tanks on top of a Pearl Harbor drinking water well. The Navy issued written reprimands to three retired military officers for their roles in the fuel spill.

The indictment returned Thursday alleges John Floyd and Nelson Wu provided the Navy with inaccurate information about a May 2021 spill that occurred six months before the fuel got in the drinking water. The indictment says they caused the Navy to mislead the Hawaii Department of Health about how much fuel leaked from one of the tanks and reassured officers that their information was accurate.

This caused the Navy to tell the department in the months after May that 1,618 gallons (6,125 liters) leaked instead of 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) and failed to report that it was unable to find 18,000 gallons (68,000 liters), prosecutors say. The indictment alleges Floyd and Wu redacted data from records provided. Floyd and Wu were each indicted on one count of conspiracy and one count of making false statements.

The federal public defender’s office, which is representing Floyd, didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Wu’s attorney, Alen Kaneshiro said he didn’t have a comment at this time.

The Navy’s investigation found fuel gushed from a ruptured pipe on May 6, 2021. Most of it flowed into a fire suppression drain system, where it sat unnoticed for six months until a cart rammed a sagging line holding the liquid and caused fuel to pour out. Crews believed they mopped up most of this fuel but they failed to get it all and some flowed into a drain and drinking water well that supplied water to 90,000 people at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

Fuel leaks at Red Hill had occurred before, including in 2014, prompting the Sierra Club of Hawaii and the Honolulu Board of Water Supply to ask the military to move the tanks to a place where they wouldn’t threaten Oahu’s water. But the Navy refused, saying the island’s water was safe.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

Related News

Protests rage in Indonesia as mob sets fire to parliament building | News – UK Times

30 August 2025

M1 northbound within J11A | Northbound | Congestion

30 August 2025

A590 westbound between A5092 and A5087/B5281 | Westbound | Congestion

30 August 2025

Newcastle complete club-record £65m deal for Stuttgart striker Nick Woltemade – UK Times

30 August 2025

A590 eastbound between A5087/B5281 and A5092 | Eastbound | Congestion

30 August 2025

3 dead after mob sets fire to Indonesian regional parliament building – UK Times

30 August 2025
Top News

Protests rage in Indonesia as mob sets fire to parliament building | News – UK Times

30 August 2025

M1 northbound within J11A | Northbound | Congestion

30 August 2025

Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson spark reconciliation speculation with Vegas getaway

30 August 2025

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest UK news and updates directly to your inbox.

© 2025 UK Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Go to mobile version